Seasoning a Cast Iron Dutch Oven?

Pupsnpullets

Songster
11 Years
Mar 9, 2008
SoCal desert
Today in the local thrift store I found a well-used cast iron dutch oven. It needs a good cleaning a seasoning which I'm not sure I know how to do. It's American made and is about 10" in diameter.

I paid $4.75. Is it worth it or did I just make a donation?

Thanks.

awesome deal!

rub it down with cooking oil and then SLOWLY (don't burn the house down!!!) heat it up in the oven on about 250 -300 degrees.

voila, a seasoned dutch oven!

GREAT deal! scrape off or burn off (my grandmother used to throw her gunky cast iron into a burning stump & let the stuff burn off) the gunk, get the dutch oven good & clean, wipe inside and out with vegetable oil, and put in a 250 to 300 degree oven for at least 2 hrs. If it tries to rust when you use it, simply scour off the rust and reseason for a little longer this time. Congrats on your bargain!
smile.png

That's great! I always burn mine off in my gas BBQ. I take off the top rack and put it top down over a low heat and let it go. I used to do it in a 1/4 barrel I have. I also use that for my burn ring to use my Dutch Ovens in.

We do a lot of cooking with cast iron, I'm fortunate to have skillets and cornbread pans that belonged to my great grandmother and grandmothers, so were talking real old pans. You can't beat cast iron for cooking. Rarely are they washed. We wipe them out with a damp towel, reheat them, and coat with cooking oil. Don't use olive oil. The reheating sterilizes them better than any dishwater could. However, after repeated use the outside of the skillet starts to build up a hard coating of nasty. I like to put them in the self clean cycle of the oven. Takes every bit of that off. When they are cool, wipe of the dust, reheat and coat with oil. Works great.

Every so often I take my cast iron pans and add some oil and a bunch of salt to the pan. Take a paper towel and really scrub around the pan. The salt cleans it without using soap. Rinse it good and sit it on a hot stove top for a minute. Then I give it one last swipe with just oil while still hot and thats it.

Everybody's seasoning methods are correct, but after the first use DO NOT USE SOAP to clean it, if you do you will have to re-season it. when my ovens will be in deep storage over the winter, I put a light coat of vaseline on them, tastless, odorless, and works longer than oil. I have over 50 pieces of cast iron and it is a chore keeping them nice. If the dutch oven you bought was not made in china then you got a great deal, all american cast iron is very good quality.

AL

Back
Top Bottom