Seattle newbie - how old for straight-to-coop?

JDelage

Chirping
Sep 11, 2016
Hi - we just took delivery of our new coop and we're looking to get 6-8 pullets, eventually for their eggs. My question is: what is the youngest age under which we shouldn't go for pullets that will be placed directly in the coop & run (unheated)?

That is totally dependant on what your temperatures are outside. I get my chicks in June and July and only provide heat for the first week or two. This time of year would be different. Most chicks should be hardened off and ready for fall weather by 8-10 weeks without extra heat, but it can depend on whether they have been hardened off properly and what they are used to.

I've had chicks outdoors in 40 degree weather at 3.5 weeks old. It really all depends on how well feathered they are. Once they are feathered in, they can handle just about anything an adult bird can.
If you don't mind driving south for some chicks, I may have some Easter Eggers available in another 2 months, brooded and ready to go out to a coop. Actually, they will be hen brooded, so they are outside from the second they hatch. I can usually sex my birds pretty accurately by 4 to 6 weeks.

Can you run an extension cord to your coop? If so, you can start chicks in the coop straight from the hatchery in it with a heating pad brooder system. Do a topic search for Mother Heating Pad Brooder. IMO, this is the best way to brood chicks, and is now the only way I will do so, unless I have a compliant hen, or unless I were brooding more than 25 at a time.

We're just starting to look. Probably in the 8-to-12 week range if we can find this around here.

I'm a few hours south, but if you don't mind the trip, I'll have some Easter Eggers ready in another month or two. I usually rehome at about 4 to 6 weeks, once they no longer need their mom, and I can be fairly sure of their gender.

Back
Top Bottom