Sebastopol aggression

BeckyLapwing

Hatching
Jan 25, 2024
Hello!

I have 3 beautiful Sebastopols, 1 smooth breasted and 2 frizzles. They are all about 9 months old and we are not 100% clear on gender, although there does appear to be a pair and a spare. Up until about 6 weeks, they've not shown much aggression but suddenly they hate EVERYONE that isn't me, and violently attack everyone else. This doesn't bother me too much as they are excellent guard geese, but they've turned on my partner who has known them and interacted with them daily since we had them (at 3 weeks old). They've drawn blood and caused huge bruises.

Any ideas on how he can win them around?

:welcome

It sounds like breeding season has begun. Just because they're not showing you any aggression doesn't mean you should trust them. I suggest everyone gives them plenty of space. If your husband does want to go near them, I suggest it's only to offer treats. Treats are a great way to win them over, though they will not stop breeding season aggression. Also, only give them treats in moderation. The aggression should only be during breeding season, which is often displayed through the males more than females. (If the geese feel like they're being teased, the aggression may not go away, so keep that in mind, especially around teenagers.)

If you or your husband needs to defend yourself against one of these geese, it's best to hold the goose by their beak while turning their back towards your legs. By doing that, you should have the goose controlled without getting injured. You then lead them to where you can safely escape the moment you let go of their beak.

A pair and a spare is not as bad as you think. Eventually she will choose her man but they need to get to the point of the choose. It usually works out in the end. Since there probably so intense on which man she will choose. Your partner might be looking like competition. Since they give you there trust they dont look at you that way but till they figure out the rest of the pecking order anyone else is competition. First year breeding seasons are hard on them and you but by the next one they will have it figured out. By mid breeding season you should see some change. Young hormones...

Back
Top Bottom