Sebastopols: Non-Curly Feathers?

Deja_view

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
Hello everyone,

I picked up three buff Pomeranian and six various colored Sebastopol goslings this past June: four Sebastopols to add to my flock and two for a friend.

Out of the six Sebastopol goslings, only four of them have curly feathers: two of mine and the two that went to my friend. My other two have very smooth / normal feathers.

A few things, from my understanding:
1) Sebastopols were originally interbred with other breeds (like American) to introduce the various colors into their gene pool.
2) Purebred Sebastopol Geese come in curly breasted and smooth breasted varieties, both of which can be included in a good breeding program to help with feather integrity and wing strength.
3) Smooth breasted Sebastopol Geese still have some curly feathers, such as those originating from their scapular region.

Please correct me if anything above is incorrect.

If you have colored Sebastopols, is there a chance that you will get some birds with no curly feathers at all due to the genetics of interbreeding? Is it possible the two smooth birds are not really Sebastopols?

Should I breed these birds together (if they are of sound form) for above mentioned positives, or nix the entire thought due to unknown genetics?

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated.

IMG20230921095025.jpg

IMG20230828140840.jpg

IMG20230828140919.jpg

IMG20230828140816.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom