1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebastopol Baby Pics Page 6!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Feb 15, 2012.

1. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi Everyone and Im pleased you find the information useful. There are other articles and if you want to see them then there are links on our own website. Must dig out my papers and re-read them myself [​IMG]

Always remember that experience is the best teacher and there are bound to be some failures, I know thats how we learnt years ago and used to beat myself up over the losses but gradually learnt more.

Always a great idea to rest any shipped eggs for 24 hours in a cool area and yes, get those weighing scales as they will guide you to the correct humidity [​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My eggs just arrived and all but one are dirty, one is super dirty! i'm assuming i need to wash these as 30 days of this crude in an incubator is a recipe for disaster. Suggestions for getting these reasonably clean would be greatly appreciated. By the way, is this normal for shipped goose eggs?

[​IMG]

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well shoot, no replies. But i've been searching on this site a lot. Read that Pete recommends washing in cool water, and also my friend does the same thing, so that's what i'm going to do. i emailed the seller to ask if she recommends washing them and she said no, and that she has incubated eggs like this and they turn out just fine. i just don't feel right about putting such dirty eggs into an incubator. So . . . going to wash those super dirty ones now in cool water and allow them to air dry until tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I don't wash ours, but I keep lots of fresh bedding to avoid dirty eggs. The ducks are another story though. I have used a Mr Clean magic eraser to knock dirty off before.

5. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    I have two eggs coming from TN and I am bidding on three from OK. The first two are pure white and the secoind bunch is from a lady that has all the colors. All of them are Sebastopol. I wonder if mine are from the same person you got yours from.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Yes, the lady i got mine from is from Oklahoma. i see that auction up now for 3 eggs. Good luck! She is a very nice woman and packs her eggs very well. i'm glad she didn't wash them herself and left it up to me. One was very clean. It must be muddy where she lives right now.

i just got my eggs in the incubator today. Hope i get some goslings as she does have some nice colors.

7. littledear

littledear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Cabot, Arkansas
    Yes we got some rain in this area just a couple of days ago and we are due for more on Monday evening or early Tuesday. It is that time of the year for us in this area of the states. She is only a couple hours from me.

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Did you win the auction?

9. kimberly35042

kimberly35042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    Central Alabama
    sadly, my goose eggs look like that sometimes. I provide a ton of hay and they will still wallow down to the mud, lay the eggs and then cover with the hay. We have had a ton of rain this winter. I do lightly rinse my eggs and dry with paper towels. I have 8 developing out of 11. the other 3 were clear. And I just set 6 more.

I guess if I were a customer, I would want the opportunity to decide to wash or not wash so would be ok with a mud stained egg. (not a filthy caked over egg from nasty nests).

Good luck with your hatch!! Keep us posted [​IMG]

10. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I got my eggs from the same seller in Oklahoma. I'm curious to see what you guys get because mine never started forming. :(

I'm sure it was shipping. But that woman is Super Nice!! Love her! She even sent me a printed off hatching record that she uses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by