Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah- going to save it til next week, hopefully we will have more. I have the toulouse out on their own, but besides the lavenders, all of the other sebs are still together. I need one more cement tub to pick up before I can split them. C'mon eggs!!!!!
Ah, OK!

I know what you mean..ack! I just got my geese separated about a week ago. Tomorrow I'm headed over to TSC to pickup a few more odds and ins to hopefully finish up my duck pens. Then once that's done, I need 3 chicken coops, and at least one Guinea coop built. Where does it end.........

~ Aspen

I have found that trying to hatch sebastopols is harder than we think. Thank GOD!! Pete put up how to run your incubator and what else to do to help us with a better hatch.....
I did terrible trying to hatch sebbie eggs. Plus my incubator got shocked from lightining through the wires.. I tried to incubate not knowing this and lost 20 or so eggs. Then I bought another incubator which was not for birds and they misrepresented theirself that they did hatch waterfowl eggs. WRONG!!! The eggs would start to develope and then die in the shell either early or midway.
So now I will use it as a brooder to warm them up after hatching. I sent off my R-com digital incubator and it is all ready for this year when I decide to set eggs...
NOT yet still to crazy of weather to try for anything yet. One day 70 degrees and mext day 28 degrees.
hmm.png

I have found that trying to hatch sebastopols is harder than we think. Thank GOD!! Pete put up how to run your incubator and what else to do to help us with a better hatch.....
I did terrible trying to hatch sebbie eggs. Plus my incubator got shocked from lightining through the wires.. I tried to incubate not knowing this and lost 20 or so eggs. Then I bought another incubator which was not for birds and they misrepresented theirself that they did hatch waterfowl eggs. WRONG!!! The eggs would start to develope and then die in the shell either early or midway.
So now I will use it as a brooder to warm them up after hatching. I sent off my R-com digital incubator and it is all ready for this year when I decide to set eggs...
NOT yet still to crazy of weather to try for anything yet. One day 70 degrees and mext day 28 degrees.
hmm.png
I'm getting super nervous about hatching out goose eggs. I've ordered goose eggs via mail before, with no success. Of course, they were shipped and who knows how old they were....but?

Shellie, you use a GQF Sportsman to incubate your waterfowl eggs, don't you? Do you have any tips you can give me? I can hatch ducklings out like crazy with my Sportsman....just not sure about the goose eggs.

~ Aspen

hey Aspen, nope no GQF cabinets here sorry. We have two antique redwoods, a dickey(mainly duck and chicken eggs), and a custom made 5 drawer cabinet hatcher for the goose eggs. I dry incubate all the eggs until lockdown with 98% over all hatch rate.

I am super nervous about the eggs, too. Going to split them up between 3 incubators just in case something goes wrong.
I'm not hatching from the toulouse or my whites, so hopefully all the eggs will fit.
fl.gif

Hoping we ALL have a great hatching season, and there are lots of baby pics to drool over soon!!!!

Hi guys... are we all ready for egg season?... I usually get my first eggs mid Feb.
I have my birds all seperated in breeding pens, White, buff, blue, and spotted....
I will have eggs available soon, and I have adults available now...
[email protected]

happy hatching!

Beautiful. Congratulations on the win. My white male I hatched from your eggs 4 years ago is my nicest looking male and a nice temperment also. He doesn't feel the need to hiss every time I walk by.
big_smile.png

My Sebs from Jean are very nice, too. They hiss at the dogs, but never at me.
smile.png

I am super nervous about the eggs, too. Going to split them up between 3 incubators just in case something goes wrong.
I'm not hatching from the toulouse or my whites, so hopefully all the eggs will fit.
fl.gif

Hoping we ALL have a great hatching season, and there are lots of baby pics to drool over soon!!!!

I hope so, too! This will be my first year trying to hatch goose eggs and I'm sure it will be a learning experience.

hey Aspen, nope no GQF cabinets here sorry. We have two antique redwoods, a dickey(mainly duck and chicken eggs), and a custom made 5 drawer cabinet hatcher for the goose eggs. I dry incubate all the eggs until lockdown with 98% over all hatch rate.
Hi Shellie, haven't talked in a while! I love the sebbies I got from you last year! The gray girls are noisy, boisterous and very demanding of attention. =} The white boy in second shipment is all white and beautiful. He is big and has nice straight wings. I will post some pics soon.

I have a couple of questions for you;
1) I separated my geese into trios about 10 days ago. How much run space do you give a trio?
2) I use a home made cabinet bator to hatch and have had pretty good luck with the sebbie eggs. I spray them with water every 3 or 4 days and have had good luck with this method.
3) You talked about a 5 drawer hatcher, do you then hand turn them? I am trying to figure out how to fit more goose eggs in my cabinet bator and/or my small fridge hatcher.

Thanks for your expertise!

Quote: I recommend everyone follow Pete's hatching guide (found at the top of the goose area in the stickies) it covers EVERYTHING! Yes the 5 drawer is a hand turn deal, but worth it for the extra room I get by doing it that way.

we try 30x30 and 20x40 or 20x50 and rotate who free ranges out of the pen for any given day. About to move the main goose house this weekend and rebuild fencing. (I want their yard for garden space lol) So re-working the runs coming off the front of it for maximum space.

So glad you enjoy everyone! Hard to not love a sebastopol though.

Thanks for the info. How in the world do you turn so many eggs several times a day without letting all the warm air out of the bator? How many does it hold.

Back
Top Bottom