Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

ok, wrapped up the color plates showing a few of the colors. Will work on additional plates as time allows. Hope this helps those who asked for pictures of the colors

To my knowledge no one with ALL of the colors has put together samples showing how they look at various ages and compaired to each other from their own stock where they can accurately show the colors from hatch.

SIDE BY SIDE

May 2012 photo of goslings labeled

So, is saddleback also a pattern?

I so appreciate all the information! I have a lot to learn :)

CelticOaksFarm: I will look forward to seeing the next colors :)

Those are great color samples!

My lavender looked more like the lilac at hatch, but I guess they are so similar its to be expected.

I am waiting for more to hatch from my saddleback gander to see if they have the same markings on the bill as the first one.

A lot of the geese in the UK are smooth breasted and it is an accepted variety over across the pond. I would think that a smooth breasted bird would have better feather quality though.

During breeding season the birds do get quite torn up and can look pretty nasty.

I have a few pictures of mine below when they were overcrowded during the winter. Mind you that would be 20+ geese, not just four.

Mine look like this right now, too. Our wet winters are hard on their feathers.

I'm getting eggs now! I was expecting to see them in the morning, but she lays during the day. Is that typical of geese? My duck eggs are already laid when I go out in the morning. I stepped on my first Seb egg, because I wasn't expecting it to be there when I fed in the evening.

I think he is a breeder of geese/ducks maybe Holderread Waterfowl Farm & Preservation Center.

Where did you get your babies? Mine came from Metzer farms.

,from an individual.
Hi, I have Sebastopol eggs in the incubator but so far they aren't fertile. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am receiving a Seb egg today to 'fool around with' from a friend whose incubators are currently full. I plan to put the egg under my broody duck who has been setting about three days. I am thinking at this juncture that she has a better chance of hatching it than I. She only has four eggs under her. I will abduct her babies that hatch so she will continue to set and then return them all to her in due coarse should the goose egg fail or thrive.

Is this a horrible plan? I have never hatched a goose egg and I do have an incubator but it is full of turkey and chicken eggs. Please, give me helpful tips to help this plan work. I might have room in the bator later but as I said, I have never hatched a goose.

Congrats on the egg!!

Good 'morning' to everyone!
frow.gif

I've been under the weather for a couple of days, and just didn't feel like doing anything. Anywho..while I was gone I had a batch of ducklings hatch out, with more in the hatcher. And the most exciting part I am now the proud owner of two adorable goslings! These lil guys are my first goslings of 2013, and not to mention my first goslings EVER!! Excited. I do have some sad news tho, one of the goslings hatched out with a cross beak. We are going back and forth on culling him or keeping him for awhile and see how he does. I really do not have time for a special needs pet right now, and since I will not be able to use him for breeding he is just another mouth for me to feed. However, I have a soft spot in my heart for him, so for now he is staying. If anyone would like this lil fella, or knows of someone looking a pet goose that has LOTS of time on their hands..please send them my way.

And now pictures, without further ado~

Beaky

Misty

Both of my cuties inside fluffing out by the wood stove yesterday morning, after I pulled them out of the hatcher.

Beaky hatched from Ashley's (smooth grey Seb) first egg, and Misty from her 2nd egg. The daddy to these babies could be R.I.P. Cotton or Trouble, but more than likely it's Caspian (white curly Seb gander in my avatar). Time will tell. We're still uncertain on Misty's color..s/he is either a white gander..or possible a buff. I'm exciting to see what color she feathers in. I'm totally in love with these two fuzz balls. They got banished outside to my building, but will probably be coming inside for daily visits. Everytime I go check on them they come waddlin up to me and start talking. And I thought ducklings were adorable....
th.gif

~ Aspen
Aspen

Congrats on the ducks & goslings. Sorry about little Beaky. The cross beak looks pretty bad. I have heard of some people working with cross beak chicks and somewhat making the beak straighter, however the process sound like it takes a lot of hand on and time. It certainly makes sense as the beak is somewhat pliable in baby poultry.

Anyway I also want to let you know that I had a turkey born without a top beak last year. He grew slower but did okay by learning on his own how to scoop feed with his lower beak. We still have him as a special needs bird, however he is slotted for the roasting pan at some point.

Back
Top Bottom