Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

this one has a really round head ..cute

Here is my first pair of sebastopol geese. I doubt that they are of any quality, but they are beautiful and I love them. They are a 2 year old proven breeding pair that I recieved for $100.

Does anyone know how long I should keep them locked up before letting them free range?

Also, I have a 1 month old sebastopol gosling, at what age can I introduce her to them?

Here is my first pair of sebastopol geese. I doubt that they are of any quality, but they are beautiful and I love them. They are a 2 year old proven breeding pair that I recieved for $100.

Does anyone know how long I should keep them locked up before letting them free range?

Also, I have a 1 month old sebastopol gosling, at what age can I introduce her to them?

Depending on your set-up and what other birds they will be with, I would let them free range right away. This will make them happier. It's hard to tell in the pic, but their quality doesn't look terrible. As for the gosling, you could start having suppervised visits with them and see how they take to the baby. The dad will probably be protective and put his neck over the baby, just don't let him pick on it. You could also put a small pen inside the big gooses pen that has the baby in it. They will get to know each other through the fence. Eventually you wean off the fence and/or suppervision. Good luck and congrats!

Depending on your set-up and what other birds they will be with, I would let them free range right away. This will make them happier. It's hard to tell in the pic, but their quality doesn't look terrible. As for the gosling, you could start having suppervised visits with them and see how they take to the baby. The dad will probably be protective and put his neck over the baby, just don't let him pick on it. You could also put a small pen inside the big gooses pen that has the baby in it. They will get to know each other through the fence. Eventually you wean off the fence and/or suppervision. Good luck and congrats!

Thanks! I'll see how they take to the gosling.

As far as free ranging, they are currently in a 6 ft by 12 ft dog kennel full of hay. I'd like to let them out, but I'm worried about them coming back. They aren't used to me or their home yet.

Thanks! I'll see how they take to the gosling.

As far as free ranging, they are currently in a 6 ft by 12 ft dog kennel full of hay. I'd like to let them out, but I'm worried about them coming back. They aren't used to me or their home yet.
How big is you free range area? Geese don't usually come back to their coop like a chicken will. You usually have to herd them in at dusk. Do you know if the previous owner did this at night?

The first couple of nights will be harder and you will almost have to chase them, but after that they will get used to the routine and learn to go in pretty easily. If you are worried that the free range area is too big, can you make it smaller for now with a temporary fence?

PS Remember that geese's diet is at least 1/2 grass, so if you decide to not let them out, it would be best if you could pick them some greens.

Last edited:
How big is you free range area? Geese don't usually come back to their coop like a chicken will. You usually have to herd them in at dusk. Do you know if the previous owner did this at night?

I don't have a fenced in area, but the chickens and ducks never wander very far and almost always go back into the coop at night.

Do I need to fence something in for the geese? and no, I don't know if the pervious owner let them free range. When I received them, they were muddy and had a lot of broken feathers.

The first couple of nights will be harder and you will almost have to chase them, but after that they will get used to the routine and learn to go in pretty easily. If you are worried that the free range area is too big, can you make it smaller for now with a temporary fence?

PS Remember that geese's diet is at least 1/2 grass, so if you decide to not let them out, it would be best if you could pick them some greens.

Yes, the ground is actually still covered with snow, but it should melt within the week. I've been feeding kale to my gosling, so I'll give some to them as well.

Last edited:
Yes, the ground is actually still covered with snow, but it should melt within the week. I've been feeding kale to my gosling, so I'll give some to them as well.
Oh, that is kinda different. My property is all fenced, even if I let my geese out in my backyard, it is fenced. I am not sure how far they would go, especially since they are new. Can you make a temp fence for them until they are used to your place? I use 3 ft chicken wire zip tied to those push in horse hot wire posts. Then you roll it up and save it for next time. Do you not have trouble with predators or dogs or anything coming after your animals?

Back
Top Bottom