Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

OOOOOH.... I may want to buy some hatching eggs of this type from you, late in the laying season! Unfortunately, I've got about 5-6 eggs coming from someone in the early part of the season, so the incubator will be taken for a bit. But these are SO beautiful!

I have admired Muffin for a while. From afar of course :) All I want to raise here at this time is white and saddles. Lilac and buff are gorgeous but you- or I- have to draw the line somewhere.

Josie... Parsimonious is a joke. Try looking up what the word means and you can then enjoy why I put it up there. I am in southern central Maine.

Did I mention putting more hay out for the geese hoping they would get the hint and build nests? I don't think they heard me. All they are dropping right now are poops.

Thank you all for your nice comments.
smile.png

Sorry I don't sell hatching eggs.
Blueberry Muffin isn't as heavily feathered this winter.
Here's a pic of her at her peak last year.
Bliss is my new rising star.
Can't wait to see how she looks this coming fall.

Bummer! There's no way I could ever get a gosling from you though, because you're all the way up in Michigan! And knowing the Postal service (especially since I work for them), I trust shipping hatching eggs LONG before I would trust them with chicks.

:-/

Bummer! There's no way I could ever get a gosling from you though, because you're all the way up in Michigan! And knowing the Postal service (especially since I work for them), I trust shipping hatching eggs LONG before I would trust them with chicks.

:-/

I've found babies ship much better than eggs, especially the larger eggs.

A well-packed box of eggs can withstand the bumping "bruising" of the sorting machines, handlers, and trucks. But they can also withstand the cooler or warmer temperatures for a while longer than baby chicks. And usually it's the temps that kill most of the chicks. People always want to add more chicks for warmth, but the ones on the outside of the little pile will still be cold. Plus the same movement that might "scramble" an egg, can still break the yolk sac on a newly-hatched chick.

Eggs just need to stay above freezing until they are incubating. Otherwise, they're good - as long as they are packed well.

Bliss is nice but I am looking at pattern as well as feathering. Feathers break and what not. I am not as worried about the condition of them in winter esp. but with saddles it would be nice if the some of the markings could be more like Muffins. Even in the Poms I have here its work to get it regulated.

I've lost very few live chicks to shipping issues, but have had MANY broken & scrambled eggs. They tend to take live birds from truck to truck by hand whereas the egg boxes get dumped on the conveyors or literally thrown into bins. Yes, chicks are more at risk from temperature extremes, but they are also much less likely to get left sitting in those extremes.

I really want to get on Vicky's waiting list for some babies this year! I can't wait for March 1st to get here!
love.gif

PS I haven't had any problems receiving shipped goslings or geese OR shipping goslings or geese out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom