Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I have all my extra ganders all together right now and there are no problems with them. There are no females to fight over, so they are getting along just fine. They all hiss at me though when I feed them....
roll.png

Pip you may find that as the season wears on they do exhibit mounting behaviors toward each other. Every breed does this that I can say I have seen or heard of.

Regarding noise I will say that since they are social creatures they use the honking to alert the flock/you for predators or visitors-- they sometimes look the same to a goose, two legged or four :) applaud that food is coming in the morning, whoop for joy at being let out or they might, as one gander does here, greet you with this... honk. I find it very funny. They also will call to each other if they get separated or if they corner something they aren't sure about. I don't find them noisy and I have two breeds. The Sebs are much quieter than my other but neither is particularly noisy. I find the dog barking down the road much more annoying. MUCH. Of course geese aren't typically out at night either.

Pip you may find that as the season wears on they do exhibit mounting behaviors toward each other. Every breed does this that I can say I have seen or heard of.

Regarding noise I will say that since they are social creatures they use the honking to alert the flock/you for predators or visitors-- they sometimes look the same to a goose, two legged or four :) applaud that food is coming in the morning, whoop for joy at being let out or they might, as one gander does here, greet you with this... honk. I find it very funny. They also will call to each other if they get separated or if they corner something they aren't sure about. I don't find them noisy and I have two breeds. The Sebs are much quieter than my other but neither is particularly noisy. I find the dog barking down the road much more annoying. MUCH. Of course geese aren't typically out at night either.
Good points! I hate noisy dogs too!

They may mount each other a bit in the pool, but nothing aggressive like the ganders in with the girls.

When you say aggressive do you mean all the hissing, straight necking? When we had a pair of geese for a few years without a gander one took on the gander role. They even built a nest. I similarly find that with ducks and chickens mounting and similar behavior does happen in single sexed flocks or pairs, although the Call ducks and some breeds of chickens have been the most 'aggressive' about fighting or dominance. I would be interested to see if you find that as the months wear into warmer weather if they don't get 'randy.'

I let the geese and ducks out today before there was more snow. There is so much now they walked right into the barn basement to finally satisfy curiosity. They sat out there off and on gawking in through the year till now. Normally there is a low wall above my knee they don't hop over to get into the barn. Now its a straight shot right in. They made the most of irritating the chickens and getting stuck in a duck pen that was vacant. [The ducks were still out.] I totally understand why people say, "silly goose."

So are ganders generally just mean to humans? Even if they were hand raised? Will they be aggressive towards my drakes?

I guess what I am asking is how bad would it be if i ordere straight run and ended up with two ganders?

Ganders get along fine with each other with no females involved. They do not have to fight with each other because there are no girls. It is when you have more than just ganders that the fighting begins for the females favor....

Back
Top Bottom