Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

First time Sebbie mom here.

I got Simon and Scout from Lisa in Oct/Nov of 2013. They were a great mated pair for her. And appears they like their move to VA.

Scout just started laying a week or so ago. I have been collecting and incubating 4, got 3 sitting waiting.

So exciting to find those eggs in the AM!

My question is how long should i hold the newer eggs back? I know they go into lockdown, so i don't want to have to set new eggs every day. But if i save up a bunch more, and wait 5-7 days past the the first set day, I should be ok?

Glad to see Simon (and Scout) got a good home!!! He was the first Sebbie egg that I hatched!!
love.gif
He actually hatched in an incubator in a Clarion Hotel room, thanks to an unplanned trip.
big_smile.png

I don't know about my gander, HC. He hisses and snakes at me and walks over to nip me and just stands there. Then turns around and walks away. Today he nibbled on my shoe while I was sitting. He will also come eat out of my hand. I wonder if they have a sense of humor. He likes to hang out near me. When he runs up to me like he's attacking, he stops and looks at me, then turns around and screams all the way back to where he started. Seems more like a game.

Glad to see Simon (and Scout) got a good home!!! He was the first Sebbie egg that I hatched!!
love.gif
He actually hatched in an incubator in a Clarion Hotel room, thanks to an unplanned trip.
big_smile.png
Oh so glad you found this! Simon is quite the character! Everyone who visits gets to know him well. He is the only one that lets me pick him up to get patted by visitors. He tends to fuss a little, but I think he secretly loves all the attention. He helps me fill the pools and he is doing a great job of protecting Scout - like Kevin Costner to her Whitney Houston.

Gander = male.
So that would make your sebastopol the gander.
Thank you. So does the girl have a particular name? I've only heard Goose and Gander. These are my first geese. I have looked up somebody that has helped me alot with what they need as far as their diet and houseing and breeding. I figured I'd save the name calling for later. lol He has really been a big help. I've been looking for a kiddie pool for them. The poor things just have a small metal wash tub. The kind dishes where washed in years ago. It's a funny sight to see them squeeze themselves in it to bathe then breeding seems to be uncomfortable but hilarious to see, poor things. When I do finally find a kiddie pool I plan to install a drain for it then bury it just up to its rim with the drain also underground and leading to just the outside of their pen. That way I can just unscrew the cap from the PVC pipe from outside the pen and use a hose to clean the mud out and then just put the cap back on and fill it back up. I think it's a good plan. They aren't very welcoming to anybody coming into their pen and now the Gander is especially crabby since the female is laying eggs. I have learned a trick to be able to wash out their "tub". I toss a head of lettace to the far side of the pen and their attention is on that and they just ignore me. I was having to bring a shovel in with me. I didn't hit them I just held it and they stayed away. I would think that they know what it is from their previous owners. She had to get rid of them because her neighbors where complaining about them. I wish they where friendly. I'm hoping I can get some Sebbie gosling girls and raise them myself so hopefully they will be a little friendlier. But the Gander would still go after me I expect in defense for his ladies.

We have our garden all planned out for this summer to add lots of greens since the geese eat so much of it. That way they won't have to have so much grain with the daily head of lettace and ocassional other greens that I catch on sale. I think the people at walmart thought I was nuts when I found Kale on sale. I bought nearly all they had. I had never seen it on sale before and most of my chickens including the geese just loved it.

Thank you. So does the girl have a particular name? I've only heard Goose and Gander. These are my first geese. I have looked up somebody that has helped me alot with what they need as far as their diet and houseing and breeding. I figured I'd save the name calling for later. lol He has really been a big help. I've been looking for a kiddie pool for them. The poor things just have a small metal wash tub. The kind dishes where washed in years ago. It's a funny sight to see them squeeze themselves in it to bathe then breeding seems to be uncomfortable but hilarious to see, poor things. When I do finally find a kiddie pool I plan to install a drain for it then bury it just up to its rim with the drain also underground and leading to just the outside of their pen. That way I can just unscrew the cap from the PVC pipe from outside the pen and use a hose to clean the mud out and then just put the cap back on and fill it back up. I think it's a good plan. They aren't very welcoming to anybody coming into their pen and now the Gander is especially crabby since the female is laying eggs. I have learned a trick to be able to wash out their "tub". I toss a head of lettace to the far side of the pen and their attention is on that and they just ignore me. I was having to bring a shovel in with me. I didn't hit them I just held it and they stayed away. I would think that they know what it is from their previous owners. She had to get rid of them because her neighbors where complaining about them. I wish they where friendly. I'm hoping I can get some Sebbie gosling girls and raise them myself so hopefully they will be a little friendlier. But the Gander would still go after me I expect in defense for his ladies.

We have our garden all planned out for this summer to add lots of greens since the geese eat so much of it. That way they won't have to have so much grain with the daily head of lettace and ocassional other greens that I catch on sale. I think the people at walmart thought I was nuts when I found Kale on sale. I bought nearly all they had. I had never seen it on sale before and most of my chickens including the geese just loved it.
Emvickrey,
I had a friend that had a pair like the above ones and the babies turned out to be smooth breasted, almost all white with a few gray dots on their backs, with curly back feathers. I think I have a pic somewhere, I will try to find it. I will warn you that if you let the parents raise the babies, they will be wild and afraid of people. If you brood them, they will be friendly. :) As for water bowls or pools, I use the small and large cement mixing pans from Home Depot. They can be found all year long. They are sturdy, last me about 1 year before they start breaking from weather abuse. They are $6 and $12 respectively. I use the large ones for breeding pens. They are large enough for 2 birds to fit in them comfortably. As for large kiddie pools, we have a local hardware store that usually has them, but they store them away for the winter. I call them ahead of time and they will get what I want out of the warehouse for me to pick up. Hope those ideas help.
Also, if you run out of greens or grass in their pen during winter, use grass hay, mine love it! Good luck!

Last edited:
So I can finally participate here. This is a current pic of my sebbies, taken just this morning!

Ready for this?

Here they are!

Aren't they just ADORABLE?!?

Back
Top Bottom