Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Quote:
Awwwwwwwwwww, look how cute.
love.gif

I will let you know when your 2 hatch Julie! I'll be posting some teaser pics until then
wink.png

Quote:
Humidity Humidity Humidity Humidity Humidity Humidity Humidity!!

That's it!
big_smile.png

EXACTLY! Everything I originally read said that waterfowl needed between 50-60% humidity through incubation. I'm pretty sure this is what caused me to drown my first babies. Lesson learned I guess. I dry hatch now, and my humidity stays around 30%. I have had a much higher success rate (usually around 70%) with the dry hatching. Less to worry about, and better results! I highly recommend the dry hatching!

Quote:
Humidity Humidity Humidity Humidity Humidity Humidity Humidity!!

That's it!
big_smile.png

EXACTLY! Everything I originally read said that waterfowl needed between 50-60% humidity through incubation. I'm pretty sure this is what caused me to drown my first babies. Lesson learned I guess. I dry hatch now, and my humidity stays around 30%. I have had a much higher success rate (usually around 70%) with the dry hatching. Less to worry about, and better results! I highly recommend the dry hatching!

Yep! Dry hatching is usually a lot better and safer in the long run!
smile.png

I know, Ive looked..
sad.png
I dont want to ship larger birds, that just scares me personally, although I know people do it all the time. I haven't been able to find the wee ones.. Maybe I will have to hatch out my own.. hmm

Quote:
You just got to look around and ask breeders sometimes they will ship you a pair of goslings (Very slim chance though
wink.png
)

Quote:
You just got to look around and ask breeders sometimes they will ship you a pair of goslings (Very slim chance though
wink.png
)

If you could find some eggs within a reasonable distance I say go for it! I ordered some eggs from a breeder that was 500 miles away (I wouldn't want to ship goose eggs any farther than that). I got 7, 6 were fertile, and I got 4 to hatch. This is a good hatch for shipped eggs. I also ordered a batch of 10 from her later. 6 were fertile, 1 quit early, and the rest are due to hatch next week. The closer you can find the eggs, the better.

I incubated mine in a Brinsea Eco 20. It is reliable, easy to use, and reasonably priced at $100. I can usually fit 11 goose eggs in it. It is nerve wracking, but so awesome to be able to hatch them yourself!

Thank you for all the great info!.. We are located between Walker CA, and Gardnerville NV. Really new to the area, so I am still finding my way around. I have been watching for a while now, keeping my eyes out, but so far, nothing. I haven't been able to find any chicks either. Shipping worries me because I use to work within the mail system.. ((lol))

Thanks for the info on the incubator too!.. I have seen the Brinsea.. There are so many different ones, its hard to know what works the best..

We also have a 2 year old daughter, and 3 year old son.. I think it would be great for them as well!..

Quote:

If you could find some eggs within a reasonable distance I say go for it! I ordered some eggs from a breeder that was 500 miles away (I wouldn't want to ship goose eggs any farther than that). I got 7, 6 were fertile, and I got 4 to hatch. This is a good hatch for shipped eggs. I also ordered a batch of 10 from her later. 6 were fertile, 1 quit early, and the rest are due to hatch next week. The closer you can find the eggs, the better.

I incubated mine in a Brinsea Eco 20. It is reliable, easy to use, and reasonably priced at $100. I can usually fit 11 goose eggs in it. It is nerve wracking, but so awesome to be able to hatch them yourself!

Back
Top Bottom