Sebastopol.....now a Muscovy too....gone

Good luck to you also. I know the terrible feeling when you feel you can't protect your babies. Husband said ours was a 6 fence also not a 5 ft. We are surrounded by forest so there is always something hungry trying to get our animals.

You also might wanna get a gaurd rooster or two Though it might not help against big Predators.

Well, yesterday we realized our beloved Muscovy 'Evie' was missing. When I realized she wasn't there I thought I was going to be physically ill. My stomach just flipped. I sent DH to Wally World to buy me a cot and sleeping bag and I spent the night out with the animals. Will do it again tonight and will continue to do so until I find out what it is. I'm just so sick over this. She was our original Muscovy and was more like a dog than a duck. Just an extremely sad day here.

Quote:
Be careful! Eeek! Do you have any protection? Sorry about your duck!
sad.png

Husband said our woods eventually connects to the Tenn. River and the Obion. Says there is everything out there that sees our Sebastopols as a meal. I am going to check with Holderreads "Book of Geese and seen what kind of fencing he recommends. I think he recomends using two hot wires one on the top and one on the bottom but have to be careful with hot wires that they don't injure the geese. Dorothy

What do you think of setting live traps? We did so last year and caught raccoons. Didn't want to kill the coons so took them on a ride 30 miles to the Tenn. State Park. My husband claims the raccoons beat us back home.????

Have a Mennoite farmer living close to us that has a poultry farm and one night raccoons got into his chicken house and killed something like 30 of this hens. Didn't eat them but just killed them for the sport of it.

Last edited:
We have possums occ. and have trapped them and taken them away(sorry, I know alot of people don't agree with that), but this is not a possum. It's a coyote or a bobcat, I'm possitive. I'm not sure they would fit into the live traps that we have. Guess it couldn't hurt to try though. Going to try to get a hotwire up, hoping that will deter whatever it is.

Good chance its a bobcat.We have lost several grown ducks in the last few weeks.I installed surveilance cameras and record my yard and pond 24 hours a day,watched a LARGE bobcat run in and get one a few days ago.He done it so quick it would be impossible to stop him once he is locked in.He leaves no feathers when he grabs and runs.Thought it was a yota because one attacked my chihuahua in the yard.The camera will definately tell the tell.Month before I had a owl killing my grown muscovys at night.My camera was well worth the money,I plan on getting a couple more for my chicken area!!!

Back
Top Bottom