Sebastopols vs. Mud?

3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
Hey all -- I'm planning on expanding the flock in the spring and debating over breeds with sebbies being one of my top choices. The only thing I'm worried about is mud. I'm in central NC where mud season is a good 3/4 of the year, I've battled it pretty well with the current flock but they're not wearing fluffy tutus like sebbies. Deep-ish bathing water is available (10x8x3 pool), will that be enough to keep them looking clean? Any other things I should be considering? Also looking at Dewlap or American Buffs as possible additions might just end up with a big ole mixed flock :)

I can’t really say because I’ve never owned sebastopols but I’ve seen some with pretty muddy feathers so I don’t think they’re as waterproof as other breeds. You may need to put more effort into making sure they have somewhere dry to get away from the mud every day.

I can’t really say because I’ve never owned sebastopols but I’ve seen some with pretty muddy feathers so I don’t think they’re as waterproof as other breeds. You may need to put more effort into making sure they have somewhere dry to get away from the mud every day.

Good point! Might need to stake out the areas that remain semi mud-free and fortify them a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom