1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sebright Cockerel or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KFox, May 22, 2011.

1. KFox

KFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

This one is about 4-6 weeks old.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Sebrights are SO hard to tell, because the males are "hen-feathered" - so the comb is about the only way to tell the difference and it can take several weeks to begin to grow out into the male comb.

I couldn't tell at this stage. Wait for the comb to develop a spike pointing back along the top of its head. Then you know you have a cockerel.

3. KFox

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for reading/commenting. I think I have three sebrights and one of them is making a errrr---eeeee noise. I can't tell which is making the noise but this one is the largest of the three and chest-bumps others often.

[​IMG]

4. bantamsrmyfav

bantamsrmyfav Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    US & Canada
    He probably is the cockerel then, are you planning to keep them as a trio?

5. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i think roo he's looks a lot like mine did at that age mine is 10 weeks old now

6. KFox

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm not able to keep roos here. We live in an area zoned agricultural but we have one acre lots. I will probably give him away. [​IMG]

7. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Sorry, that looks to be a boy. Sebright hens have VERY small, almost nonexistent, combs. The comb development on yours is a dead giveaway that it is a boy.

8. puffmuff

puffmuff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    New York State
    I agree that it is a boy. My 10 week old silver sebright pullet has a comb that is so small that the only way you know it's there is by feel. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by