Sebright egg size?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KristaChickenWhisperer, Nov 2, 2010.

1. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Hi all!

I am new to sebrights and I got an egg yesterday that was about half the size of a large brown egg and off white in color. I thought it might have been laid by my silkie but I got another one today PLUS another brown bantam sized egg (most likely my Silkie's).

Could the off white eggs be my Sebright's eggs? Or maybe just a smaller egg from one of my other girls? All my current layers just started laying within the past week.

Here's a pic of the egg next to one laid by my standard Cochin:
    [​IMG]

and here it is (on the left) next to what I THINK is a silkie egg:
    [​IMG]

2. peachie

peachie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    [​IMG] hi yes what u have there is a sebright egg i too have sebrights we have silver coloured ones they are not quiel creamy but not really white ether plus they seem to have a more pointy end [​IMG] [​IMG] i love sebrights they are so very very cute

3. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Quote:Yay!! Thanks for the help! That means 4/7 of my girls are laying for sure!!

My girl is a silver too! She is GORGEOUS! Are they good broodies?

here is a pic of her I snapped last week [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

If it is smaller than the silkie egg it is probably the sebright's egg.
    My sebright's eggs are smaller than my silkie's. But the first couple of eggs my silkie laid were smaller than what she lays now...about the same size as the sebright's.

5. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Hi all...so how much did those sebright eggs weigh? I put what I thought was an Orpington pullet egg in the bator, but it looks like a sebright chick?!? Are they really that big? My poor sebright, "pheobe"...her bum must ache!
    Is there any way to mark their bottom so as they lay the egg it would color on it? That would be interesting!

6. LISAANN177

LISAANN177 New Egg

Jan 30, 2013
    A few times I used food coloring. Sounds funny, but it worked. Early that morning before my hens started laying. I went in and put two drops of food coloring on their vents (different colors). Sure enough a few hours later I had tye dyed looking eggs and knew what hen laid what....LOL. And it doesn't harm the chickens. Easy fix.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  7. AssortedChicks

AssortedChicks Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    I'll try that sometime. It would be a good experiment.

8. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Ok, that is brilliant about the food dye. And hilarious. I'm imaging a poor hen being held upside down with her bum in the air. Did you have a helper?
    Just how small are sebright eggs? The chickens are gorgeous.

9. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    I see the egg pictures but I don't have a Cochin or silkie hen to compare to... they don't look *that* much smaller then a large hen egg? I thought they would be tiny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by