sebright thread

I was so oblivious to where eggs and chicken came from until I actually had them as pets and did some research. I will no longer eat store bought eggs. I only eat eggs laid by my pullets/hens. I also will never eat chicken unless I raise it myself.

Way off topic on Sebrights but....

DS was a baby when we got chickens and he's used to eating their eggs. I knew I had created a food snob when he had a full-blown tantrum at a restaurant. He was 3 and wanted a hard-boiled egg for breakfast. He took one big bite, spit it out, and began sobbing, "No! I wanted a REAL egg." The waitress apologized and brought out another egg and of course we witnessed the same result. By then DS was getting very frustrated because all he wanted was a simple egg. At home he liked to pick out his egg for me to cook, and he could easily identify the eggs from HIS hen. DD also embarrassed us on that same vacation when eating dinner with my in-laws. DD had never eaten canned veggies, so after taking a nibble she told me that the green beans were spoiled. I tried to keep her quiet, but she kept insisting that she must warn everyone there about the rotten green beans. The more I shushed her, the louder and more persistant she became.... You don't understand, Mommy! The beans are really, really bad. They're rotten. It taste like poison. etc.

Our kids play outside and sneak into the garden to pick food. Yes, they even eat fruit from our bushes & trees. Although I'd prefer they wash it 1st, they feel they're so sneaky about eating while in the garden. They have so much fun foraging for food. (It's a little backyard game they play. They even chew on mint leaves to "clean their teeth.") I laugh to myself because while they feel sneaky for taking and eating my tomatoes, pea pods, broccoli, spinach, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and apples, I know that they're eating organic produce instead of popsicles. LOL

DH still believes that nature is too messy and belongs outside. He used to hate all veggies, but now that he knows what real ones taste like he approves of the gardens.

8 weeks until I get my sebrights :ya
Can you guys post pictures of your sebrights please?
I am building a 2 new coop this March, one for the sebrights and one for 5 or 6 layers. I was thinking since I’m getting the sebrights first I’d put them in the prefab coop until I get the larger one built, and once I get the larger coop built I’ll put the sebrights in there and when the layer chicks are 8 weeks old I’ll introduce them to the sebrights. Do you think they will all be able to live together in harmony? Also can chicks eat all flock feed?

Yesterday was DD's birthday. I made her a card with the following pic & caption.

You're Turning 13 Today!
Uh-Oh! Here comes TROUBLE.

(Get it? "Trouble" our Sebright.)

Poor DD was sick with a fever last weekend. Went back to school Wed-Fri, but she came home sick Fri morning. It's not like she felt 100% all week with the constant cough & tiredness. Last night she missed the big 4H International Night that they worked on all year & she's president! Today she was unable to teach & attend her dance classes, missed the sci expo, and tonight's the Daddy-Daughter Dance. What a horrible time to be sick. I guess she's learning the valuable lesson that life's unfair. Her family party is tomorrow & we'll decide later if that will be cancelled.

8 weeks until I get my sebrights :ya
Can you guys post pictures of your sebrights please?
I am building a 2 new coop this March, one for the sebrights and one for 5 or 6 layers. I was thinking since I’m getting the sebrights first I’d put them in the prefab coop until I get the larger one built, and once I get the larger coop built I’ll put the sebrights in there and when the layer chicks are 8 weeks old I’ll introduce them to the sebrights. Do you think they will all be able to live together in harmony? Also can chicks eat all flock feed?
If your Sebright chicks are older than the other chicks, then there's a good chance that the Sebrights will not only get along but be the dominant flock members. Our Sebright grew up with LF so she doesn't realize she's small. Her big personality makes up for the small size. She also mothered several giant orpingtons & can still put those 10lb birds in their place.

If your Sebright chicks are older than the other chicks, then there's a good chance that the Sebrights will not only get along but be the dominant flock members. Our Sebright grew up with LF so she doesn't realize she's small. Her big personality makes up for the small size. She also mothered several giant orpingtons & can still put those 10lb birds in their place.
Thank you for the great information. Unfortunately my mother won’t let me get the Sebrights because I’m already getting 7 pullets and hens :(

Here are a few pics of Trouble.
IMG_2588 copy.jpg IMG_3098.JPG IMG_3410.jpg IMG_0402.JPG IMG_0133 copy.jpg IMG_1673.JPG IMG_3429.JPG IMG_0429 copy.jpg IMG_7498 copy.jpg IMG_2556.jpg
edit to add this pic (Photoshop)
1216357-62ff48452e0536dbfc859513706ac7e9.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday was DD's birthday. I made her a card with the following pic & caption.

You're Turning 13 Today!
Uh-Oh! Here comes TROUBLE.

(Get it? "Trouble" our Sebright.)

Poor DD was sick with a fever last weekend. Went back to school Wed-Fri, but she came home sick Fri morning. It's not like she felt 100% all week with the constant cough & tiredness. Last night she missed the big 4H International Night that they worked on all year & she's president! Today she was unable to teach & attend her dance classes, missed the sci expo, and tonight's the Daddy-Daughter Dance. What a horrible time to be sick. I guess she's learning the valuable lesson that life's unfair. Her family party is tomorrow & we'll decide later if that will be cancelled.
I mean I 'like' the pic, not that daughter is sick!
I've been rearranging our coop to prepare for integrating 5 new chicks. They are appenzeller spitzhaubens. Our Sebright, Moonshine, wants to be in the middle of all remodeling. She investigates tools, and each new partition with great interest, commenting all the time, trying out the baby roosts, etc. I think she'll be very opinionated about the newcomers. They are 3 weeks and still in the house, but coop time is coming fast.....

Thank you for the great information. Unfortunately my mother won’t let me get the Sebrights because I’m already getting 7 pullets and hens :(
Sounds familiar. LOL
Our Sebright was supposed to be a temp flock member. We needed a buddy for our lonely Dominique, so my daughter grabbed a Sebright chick away from a broody hen. (All of the broody chicks were hatched with the purpose of being sold.) The Sebright was supposed to stay only until the Dom was accepted into the flock. I even had a buyer for her. The two BFFs were inseparable and so much fun to watch. My daughter argued that a Sebright is too small to be counted as a real chicken, so she should stay. I disliked her speed & flying ability, so we made a deal that if DD could train her to come when called, she could keep her.

We now have a trained flying chicken..... but the name Trouble still applies!

Back
Top Bottom