sebright thread

Pics
I think if you are buying eggs on ebay you should always ask if the birds pictured are the pair that produced the eggs. Unfortunately, some people will not be honest and there's no way to know.

Hello! I have invaded to throw up some photos of my little week old Golden Sebright chicks
big_smile.png

A also got a couple Silkies just so they would get used to other breeds from a young age. One is standing straight at all times (the chick closest to the camera), and another seems to growing slower than it's siblings. Is that okay? They have plenty of food in with them at all times.

Now, a quick question on sexes. I though you wouldn't be able to tell the sex from such a young age (unless you knew how to vent sex, which I don't) but two of my chicks had the pin feathers from day one and two didn't. Is there a chance that might be two hens and two roos?

You can see for yourself here;
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741981/first-time-incubating-pics/50

Hmm, let me know what you think.

Last edited:
OK...I am desperately in love with the silvers. I have a mixed flock of 8 6-10 week old chicks, all pullets I believe. Would I have success brooding then introducing sebrights into the flock at 4 weeks? I've read mixed reviews on having them in mixed flocks, as well as they are hard to brood. Should I continue my search for same age birds? (Which is proving very difficult and expensive.) Anyone in this thread from texas that I could buy from?

DAY-yum! All of those "flaws"? I guess that I have A LOT to learn about Sebrights. I actually said, to my Wifey, "Come look at this chicken!" I actually made her come to the 'puter to look. We both said, "Beautiful! It looks painted and fake." Yet, this is not a perfect chicken. I can't wait to see a perfect one! Makes me want some even more! YUP! Gonna pick a date and order some before they all run out! Ideal, here I come! I hope that's a good choice.

If you want quality Sebrights Ideal isn't the place to go. I've seen their Sebrights at several County Fairs I judge in the summer & they've all been at least twice as big as they should be. Size hasn't been their only flaw either.
Frankly, you won't get good Sebrights from any hatchery I know of. Send me a PM with your location & I may be able to direct you to a breeder close to you. I say may because there really aren't a lot of breeders of quality Sebrights around.

OK...I am desperately in love with the silvers. I have a mixed flock of 8 6-10 week old chicks, all pullets I believe. Would I have success brooding then introducing sebrights into the flock at 4 weeks? I've read mixed reviews on having them in mixed flocks, as well as they are hard to brood. Should I continue my search for same age birds? (Which is proving very difficult and expensive.) Anyone in this thread from texas that I could buy from?
I usually dont mix chicks once the oldest chicks are over 6 weeks old. The older chicks will pick on the younger ones. I wait until the youngest chicks are around 10 weeks old before I put them in with older chicks. And only if they have lots of space to get away.

If you want quality Sebrights Ideal isn't the place to go. I've seen their Sebrights at several County Fairs I judge in the summer & they've all been at least twice as big as they should be. Size hasn't been their only flaw either.
Frankly, you won't get good Sebrights from any hatchery I know of. Send me a PM with your location & I may be able to direct you to a breeder close to you. I say may because there really aren't a lot of breeders of quality Sebrights around.
100 % agreee.

I usually dont mix chicks once the oldest chicks are over 6 weeks old.  The older chicks will pick on the younger ones.  I wait until the youngest chicks are around 10 weeks old before I put them in with older chicks.  And only if they have lots of space to get away.

Thank you. That is what I was thinking as well. My current flock has a 4 week spread, the oldest being right at 10 weeks. I think I will continue my search for same age birds to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom