sebright thread

Pics
It is true though. Up until this year I raised gamefowl. At first I used the standard wet incubation for my gamefowl eggs and had horrible hatch rates. Finally I switched to the dry method and started getting high hatched rates. This year I got a pair of Dominiques and started hatching eggs from them in the incubator with my gamefowl. All my gamefowl eggs were hatching fine but all the dominique chicks were coming out all deformed. I thought the deformities were due to genetic defects, but after talking to an expert, it was suggested I use different settings just for the Dom eggs. When one of my game hens went broody I stuck a dozen eggs under her and she hatched all 12. Not a single one had a defect. This proved that the deformities were connected to my incubation settings. So the expert was right about different breeds requiring different settings. Sebright eggs are a lot smaller then normal chicken eggs ( more like quail eggs) and so I think it possible they might need different settings as well.
Well, I can honestly say that I've never heard that before. What method did you try with the Sebright eggs? Because as I mentioned before, mine did well under some broodies.

Mine is maturing very fast! He's 9 weeks, and his comb/wattles are huge! His wattles are almost as big as my hen's! As for my other one, he is 9 weeks and has no wattles and a small comb, but it's too red to be a pullet.

I wonder why they do this. It seems other breeds take so much longer for owners to be able to tell if they are male or female even after several months of age.

Another question about Sebrights. This one is about pullets. I have two that are just at 14 weeks. Both of them have this little pimple looking thing between there eyes in the blad area where a comb would be. They have had a mark there since
I got them as chicks. Now it has developed into a definite pimple. Is it going to turn into something else or is it just a mark? Sorry I am new to all this.

Thanks Silseb, he is a beautiful Sebright. If he didn't have a crooked toe I would ask if anyone though he was show worthy.
I don't have the option of putting an older rooster in with them. He has been a little better since we had a big show down a couple days ago. I was cleaning the chicken tractor and he came up to me all cocky so I moved toward him to back him up but instead he came up in the air at me. I lunged for him but other than knocking some feathers off him he got away. I chased him under our truck and blocked him from getting to the hens. I "claimed" them! He eventually started making a pitiful crying kind of sound and I let him go to the bushes and then eventually the hens with him. This all had gone on for about 10 minutes. He has given me my
Space since! I am still watching him close.
Thanks Silseb, he is a beautiful Sebright. If he didn't have a crooked toe I would ask if anyone though he was show worthy.
I don't have the option of putting an older rooster in with them. He has been a little better since we had a big show down a couple days ago. I was cleaning the chicken tractor and he! He eventually started making a pitiful crying kind of sound and I let him go to the bushes and then eventually the hens with him. This all had gone on for about 10 minutes. He has given me my
Space since! I am still watching him

That sound they make is the submission voice. You can observe it when the top cock walks into the space of the lesser. It is often accompanied by lifting the wings once or twice and sometimes slight raise of the upper part of the hackle behind the head.

Well, I can honestly say that I've never heard that before. What method did you try with the Sebright eggs? Because as I mentioned before, mine did well under some broodies. 

Yes they do require different settings. I weigh mine to make sure they have correct humidity to hatch. After 18 years of hatching them, I have found that to be the most fail proof. Depending on the weightsi usually run them dry until hatching time, then get the humidity as high as possible 80% so they hatch out. After the external pip.important not to do that too soon.
They usually run about 80-90% fertile and out of that most of them hatch.
Hens are even better so long as they are not so big they crush the small eggs.
a man in the Uk has used pigeons to hatch themwith great success.

Last edited:
Only new here and I thought I would share my Sebrights.I have a pair of silver with the hen now sitting on a dozen eggs and a pair of golds.The gold pullet is fairly young so she still has some developing to do
Are they from Australia or Europe?

Back
Top Bottom