sebright thread

Are they the only chickens? Is he your only rooster?? I have a silver seabright i got in a swap he was raised in a mixed flock my flock is mostly Barnevelders the seabright is #3 on rooster depth chart but does crow more than Barnevelders

he is my only known rooster so far. I have 6 silkies right now to young for me to tell if I have any rooster but I have my sebright hen and rooster separated from my silkies. he is one noisy bird...lol but I love that little guy so friendly

Mines name is george he is hilarious loves the big barnie hens
The roosters had it out with him once and now mostly ignore him

Actually, my Silver Roos bloodied each other and the Phoenix's in the next cages, for a few days after I separated them all for fighting. I had to keep stuff between the cages so that they couldn't see each other. They all came in the same hatchery order, qnd brooded together, too. I have not had Roos fight, that were raised together, just little squabbles that never amounted to much. Not Sebrights and Phoenix's, tho. They are hard core! I knew Phoenix's were as I have seen what they use them for in the Philipines, and other Pacific island countries. They are about the most "gamey" of all the game birds I have been around. I can't stand to see chickens fight.

Actually, my Silver Roos bloodied each other and the Phoenix's in the next cages, for a few days after I separated them all for fighting. I had to keep stuff between the cages so that they couldn't see each other. They all came in the same hatchery order, qnd brooded together, too. I have not had Roos fight, that were raised together, just little squabbles that never amounted to much. Not Sebrights and Phoenix's, tho. They are hard core! I knew Phoenix's were as I have seen what they use them for in the Philipines, and other Pacific island countries. They are about the most "gamey" of all the game birds I have been around. I can't stand to see chickens fight.

When I introduced my hen to my sebright cockerel, she thought he was a girl (he wasn't crowing yet) and they went at it!!! Hackle feathers all out on end, sparring eachother. We let them just duke it out until she had him pinned down by his neck. Then we broke it up and they hated eachother for a while but now she's his favorite hen!!
1f602.png
1f602.png
Too funny.

Just thought I would post a few pics of my sebrite girls. They are 10 weeks now. I am thinking they have not really feathered out to their final look. From what I read they may change some as after a molt or two.

I planned to keep just one and have not been able to come up with names for them. I am terrible with names, period.

Comments welcome.

Girl 1

Girl 2

So I don't know how I managed it but I got one sebright as my mystery bird about 3 months ago and now I think I have another one! The older one is a hen for sure, but can sebrights be feather sexed as chicks? I actually want this one to be a boy, but if they can be feather sexed it's probably a pullet. I fell in love with their colors though, what exquisite birds they are!

Sebrite roosters are "hen feathered" which means that they will not have the tell-tell signs of any rooster feathering. The only way I know of to tell any difference is the comb. The rose comb will get a little bumpy and pinker at first I don't know how soon on sebrites because I have not had a roo, only the two girls.

The ones that look to be girls to me have a smooth forehead with a single little bump or horn looking protrusion.

I have some other rose combed and some get pink and bumpy in a few weeks and some of my others don't show a sign for a while. I can tell my dominiques apart but not my wyandottes and they are the same age (4 weeks)

Is the other one younger? Does the forehead look like your other one? If smooth, probably a girl, if you see little bumps, probably a boy.

Hope it is a boy, since that is what you want. Which color?

Back
Top Bottom