sebright thread

Everything that I had read about sebrights before getting them stated that it was hard to sex them because of the hen feather pattern. My chicks are 12 days old and I have simply been watching them to try to determine sex. It isn't very hard when the boys are chest bumping already! They have the cutest little tail feathers showing now too. Anyone else have chicks?
Chest bumping doesn't necessarily mean they are cockerels. You will know for sure by 6 weeks, as the cockerels will have the bigger, slightly pinker combs.

HI! I'm new to this thread. I have two sebrights, Laverne and Shirley, that are under a year old. A friend couldn't keep them and so I took two from his flock this summer. I am loving my little girls! Laverne is so friendly, she follows me around the yard and eats out of my hand. Shirley is quite skiddish though and she tends to stay on the outer edges of the group when they flock around me. Will sebrights lay all year round? I live in MI and so far my girls usually slow down during moulting but pick back up a little during the winter months. My sebrights have stopped a week or so ago and they don't look like they are moulting right now.

Chest bumping doesn't necessarily mean they are cockerels. You will know for sure by 6 weeks, as the cockerels will have the bigger, slightly pinker combs.
Yeah, watch the combs. I have known girls that get all riled up and act like boys fighting. They even raise their neck feathers like boys, so you cannot go by behavior. The comb will tell you with Sebrights.

Now I have Wyandottes that will fool you. Out of six Columbians I know I have 2 boys, 2 girls and 2 that could be either at 12 weeks. I bought a gold laced wyandotte this spring and SHE looked like a HE at 7 weeks. HE grew up to lay eggs!

Lol. Sometimes we never truly know unless they lay us an egg;-) I think I'll be building these chickies more of a flight cage/aviary rather than put them in the coop- they are already 'flying' and flitting across the brooder.

Sebrights do awesome free ranging then they are tired at night

The lacing on your silvers is fabulous! Is breeding really as hard/ slow as reputed? One site even had only 60-80 eggs are laid per season. That's fine by me if so because I like a challenge every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom