sebright thread

I just picked up 3 Golden pullets this morning, left them in the cage when I got home, but set the cage in the coop so they could get acquainted with my 6, 10 month old Columbian Rock hens....I let them out later this afternoon and the C Rocks would not leave them alone, some pecking but more non stop chasing.... they ended up flying up on the highest part of the roost that the C Rocks don't use and have been there all afternoon and this evening. My question is, will they end up getting along? Have been a farmer all my life, but this is my first go around with chickens starting this spring, kind of a project with my kids to get them started in 4-H. Also, can anybody give me an estimate on their age? They still look quite young, maybe 3-4 months?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I just picked up 3 Golden pullets this morning, left them in the cage when I got home, but set the cage in the coop so they could get acquainted with my 6, 10 month old Columbian Rock hens....I let them out later this afternoon and the C Rocks would not leave them alone, some pecking but more non stop chasing.... they ended up flying up on the highest part of the roost that the C Rocks don't use and have been there all afternoon and this evening. My question is, will they end up getting along? Have been a farmer all my life, but this is my first go around with chickens starting this spring, kind of a project with my kids to get them started in 4-H. Also, can anybody give me an estimate on their age? They still look quite young, maybe 3-4 months?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
i usually have see dont touch for about 2 weeks so each side gets use to each other. it will take time to reestablish pecking order. They are safe if they have a place to hide which sounds like a high perch.

They have pretty significant comb development for pullets so I would guess they are a bit older than you are guessing. My Sebright hens are almost a year old and just have minimal combs. Pictures in posting 1409 above.

Thanks for the replies....yes, they are on a very high roost out of reach from the others, the C Rocks never even attempt to get up that high.

The person I got the Goldens from wasn't sure how old they were, they were given to her not too long ago and had to get rid of them because they are moving. I had room for a couple extra birds, so I offered to take them in.

Last edited:
My purebred Silver Sebright Bantam cockerel has the recessive single comb gene. I do not intend to show him, but I have decided to breed him when it's time. Will all of his offspring have this defect....

My purebred Silver Sebright Bantam cockerel has the recessive single comb gene. I do not intend to show him, but I have decided to breed him when it's time. Will all of his offspring have this defect....
Since it is a recessive gene probably not all of them. However, they may be more likely to produce offspring with the single comb and, at least ethically, if you sell them you should disclose this to the purchasers.

Hello all! I am new to BYC and to chicken keeping in Michigan. The last place I had chickens was Lewiston Idaho, where I had barred rock bantams.

I was given 3 chickens several months ago now; that were failed Easter presents for small children.

I have been told that 2 of them are Sebrights. They are not exactly tame and are not doing well as semi-house chickens. There are dogs, vacuums, and electric lights here. When we turn off the lights and go to bed it's "chicken freak out time" for 20-30 minutes. The other 4 chickens are totally unfazed by vacuuming, dogs or lights going off. They also really do not like daily handling - I do not yet have satisfactory out door chicken housing so they spend the night inside.

If these 2 are indeed Sebrights they are free to a good home.

Hello all! I am new to BYC and to chicken keeping in Michigan. The last place I had chickens was Lewiston Idaho, where I had barred rock bantams. I was given 3 chickens several months ago now; that were failed Easter presents for small children. I have been told that 2 of them are Sebrights. They are not exactly tame and are not doing well as semi-house chickens. There are dogs, vacuums, and electric lights here. When we turn off the lights and go to bed it's "chicken freak out time" for 20-30 minutes. The other 4 chickens are totally unfazed by vacuuming, dogs or lights going off. They also really do not like daily handling - I do not yet have satisfactory out door chicken housing so they spend the night inside. If these 2 are indeed Sebrights they are free to a good home.
where in michigan?

Back
Top Bottom