sebright thread

Well, what happened, is I put the chick back under the mama. In the house, it was barely moving, and I thought it might help to be returned to the stimulation of the nest. Mama tucked it under her and settled in. But about 3 hours later, I went out and found it dead beside her. I assume it was that one, but they are both black. It had no visible injuries, perhaps it just couldn't make it. Perhaps that's why it was rejected in the first place. The other chick was active and walking well, but whenever it came out, mama pecked it and made it go back in. I searched threads and read that some hens do this. I could see when she stood up a bit to let the baby in, there's still an unhatched egg. There was a big difference between the active chick and the one I tried to rescue, I saw after I had put it back.
So sorry about the death of the 1st chick. You're right that there may have been something wrong with it. At least mama's taking good care of the other chick. She needs to stay on top of the egg, so she may just be gently disciplining the chick to stay where it's safe. Hopefully the 3rd egg will hatch today. Are you going to try adding some Sebrights?

IMG_3758.JPG
IMG_3762.JPG
I have a 7-8week old sebright. Could anyone tell me the gender?

View attachment 1149089 View attachment 1149090 I have a 7-8week old sebright. Could anyone tell me the gender?
I’m going to say cockerel based on comb growth and demeanor. My 3 month old pullets have zero comb or wattle development and are very skittish even after being handled as chicks. I’d watch for any redness in the next few weeks, that will be very telling.

I’m going to say cockerel based on comb growth and demeanor. My 3 month old pullets have zero comb or wattle development and are very skittish even after being handled as chicks. I’d watch for any redness in the next few weeks, that will be very telling.
Thank you :)

:ya I love all these little bantam chick pics!

That gold sebright is just so cute! I only had a female. All I can remember is that she had no comb at all for several months.

Well, sometime during the afternoon of day 2, the surviving baby disappeared. Mama Sebright had seemed to be taking good care of it and I was checking often. Then there was a commotion, I ran out, and broody was off the nest, baby nowhere to be seen. I searched for clues to no avail.

I had been following a thread about letting broody hens raise chicks in the flock, it made sense to me, and besides, our little broody wouldn’t have it any other way. People said the flock works together to protect chicks. Oh well, I just don’t know. She was too young and inexperienced, I am too old and inexperienced. I candled the remaining egg, it hadn’t developed and I tossed it. Mama returned to nest, looked around and around, and then it was as if she just woke up from a dream…..and she went out and joined the flock! And that was that....

Well, sometime during the afternoon of day 2, the surviving baby disappeared. Mama Sebright had seemed to be taking good care of it and I was checking often. Then there was a commotion, I ran out, and broody was off the nest, baby nowhere to be seen. I searched for clues to no avail.

I had been following a thread about letting broody hens raise chicks in the flock, it made sense to me, and besides, our little broody wouldn’t have it any other way. People said the flock works together to protect chicks. Oh well, I just don’t know. She was too young and inexperienced, I am too old and inexperienced. I candled the remaining egg, it hadn’t developed and I tossed it. Mama returned to nest, looked around and around, and then it was as if she just woke up from a dream…..and she went out and joined the flock! And that was that....
:eek:
Oh No! I'm so sorry after all this time effort you have no chicks.
:hugs
I wonder if a critter came & ate the chick. Perhaps it walked through some gap & got itself trapped. (If it was pecked to death by another chicken you'd at least see some blood/evidence.) I guess on the positive note, your hen is taking the bad news OK. I once had a hen go into a month long depression after I sold all her 2 week old chicks. I learned to always keep at least one.

If you try it again and want to keep the chicks with the flock, try putting the family into a rabbit cage or dog crate or block off a corner for them. That way the flock can see them but not peck them and get a small enough mesh to keep them inside so chicks can't wander away from mama. I keep mine inside a cage inside the run for their 1st week of life. Then I open the door & allow mama to bring the chicks in & out when she wants.

These baby-gate pens work well because they can be set up in minutes and have multiple uses.
Chick safety zone inside the run:
IMG_1022.jpg
Chick tractor for safe, predator-free grass time
IMG_0538.jpg

Back
Top Bottom