sebright thread

Quote:
I help my baby sebrights along by taking a coffee blender (not used on coffee anymore) and blending chick starter into finer bits. It helps a bit, but they are very small and fragile still. I make the feed into nearly a powder for the first week, then bigger bits, then I just give them the feed. It helped mortality go from about 30% to about 15% or so.... these are estimate numbers... not a scientific study.
wink.png

Quote:
I help my baby sebrights along by taking a coffee blender (not used on coffee anymore) and blending chick starter into finer bits. It helps a bit, but they are very small and fragile still. I make the feed into nearly a powder for the first week, then bigger bits, then I just give them the feed. It helped mortality go from about 30% to about 15% or so.... these are estimate numbers... not a scientific study.
wink.png

You know, that never crossed my mind. I did that for my button quail when they hatched. Never thought of it for the Sebrights, but it's definitely worth a try. Thanks so much, I'll try it.

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Good luck w/ your sebrights NC29mom!
fl.gif

What colors did you order? I love Japanse Bantams!
love.gif

Golden Laced Sebrights ordered 15
Japanese BTW bantams ordered 10 (already have 2 roosters about 4 months old)

I really hope they will be ok. I read somewhere NOT to put them together - is that so?? (as chicks, I mean) Should I have 2 separate areas when they arrive?

Good idea about blending food to smaller pieces, will have to try that!

MY CHICKS WERE BORN SOMETIME THIS AM, MAILED AT 0500 and I am desperately awaiting their arrival!!!!!!!

Quote:
Golden Laced Sebrights ordered 15
Japanese BTW bantams ordered 10 (already have 2 roosters about 4 months old)

I really hope they will be ok. I read somewhere NOT to put them together - is that so?? (as chicks, I mean) Should I have 2 separate areas when they arrive?

Good idea about blending food to smaller pieces, will have to try that!

MY CHICKS WERE BORN SOMETIME THIS AM, MAILED AT 0500 and I am desperately awaiting their arrival!!!!!!!

No - it's perfectly fine to have both of the breeds in together. Keep us updated when you get your babies!!
What hatchery are you getting them from again?

Here's one of my 2 little Sebright roos, Alex, I think.
41679_bestsebrightrooster.jpg

And here's Alex, George, and bantam Buff Brahma Charlie.
41679_3bantamroos.jpg

I'll get the pullet photos later. They're still being shy and not wandering far from their little grow out coop in the run.

Quote:
THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I am in love
love.gif
Oh, I just can't wait!!! I don't think I have ever been this excited (well, ok, maybe as a kid awaiting Santa)!! I won't be able to sleep tonight!!
I ordered from Cackle hatchery, only because they were the closest to me. We have never ordered from anywhere before. My husband went to a local animal auction and bought the BO's we have now. The 2 japanese BTW roosters we got from TSC. So, this is all new to me!!

I did receive my 9,000 live crickets today. I just can't get enough. SOOOOOOOOO FUNNNNNNNYYYYY!!!!! We have a big wooden box the crickets stay in, beside the chicken coop. The chickens know what's going on when we reach for the cricket scooper. (this is the 2nd order of crickets). I just love watching them chase and catch them, tooooo funnnnnnnny!!! One of my hens even jumped up on the side of the box (it's about 3 feet off the ground) as if she was deciding whether she should jump in for a cricket buffet.

I also like the Buff Brahmas, they remind me of BO's, just a little more dressy. Now that we have learned a thing or two about chickens, my hubby wants to take the BO's BACK to the auction and order some new hens from a hatchery. He says, "These hens are old, they gotta go". I just can't let him do it though. They will NEVER EVER have it as good as they have it here (not to brag, but we are good to our kiddies). I told him, "They are our pets now, we aren't getting rid of them, sorry. You'll just have to build another pen if you want more chicks!!"

Thanks for the input, and not to worry, I will post every little thing with my little chickies. Does it sound a little ridiculous to make a scrap book with daily/weekly pictures??? I hope to one day show my birds.

Quote:
THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I am in love
love.gif
Oh, I just can't wait!!! I don't think I have ever been this excited (well, ok, maybe as a kid awaiting Santa)!! I won't be able to sleep tonight!!
I ordered from Cackle hatchery, only because they were the closest to me. We have never ordered from anywhere before. My husband went to a local animal auction and bought the BO's we have now. The 2 japanese BTW roosters we got from TSC. So, this is all new to me!!

I did receive my 9,000 live crickets today. I just can't get enough. SOOOOOOOOO FUNNNNNNNYYYYY!!!!! We have a big wooden box the crickets stay in, beside the chicken coop. The chickens know what's going on when we reach for the cricket scooper. (this is the 2nd order of crickets). I just love watching them chase and catch them, tooooo funnnnnnnny!!! One of my hens even jumped up on the side of the box (it's about 3 feet off the ground) as if she was deciding whether she should jump in for a cricket buffet.

I also like the Buff Brahmas, they remind me of BO's, just a little more dressy. Now that we have learned a thing or two about chickens, my hubby wants to take the BO's BACK to the auction and order some new hens from a hatchery. He says, "These hens are old, they gotta go". I just can't let him do it though. They will NEVER EVER have it as good as they have it here (not to brag, but we are good to our kiddies). I told him, "They are our pets now, we aren't getting rid of them, sorry. You'll just have to build another pen if you want more chicks!!"

Thanks for the input, and not to worry, I will post every little thing with my little chickies. Does it sound a little ridiculous to make a scrap book with daily/weekly pictures??? I hope to one day show my birds.

Wow, sounds like they do have it good at your place!

Okay guys.....I'm so excited!!! I get to join the ranks of you all as a breeder of Sebrights!! (If one chick counts)

I purchased a pair of Silver Sebright back in the Spring at a Show. Dispite infertility problems on their eggs for the past three months, I am finally getting development from eggs and today I hatched a chick. I have two other eggs that showing signs of development.

I was warned by several Sebright breeders that this breed is known for the infertility and then the fragileness of the chicks. Thanks for addressing the finely processed chick feed in previous posts, I'm going to try that for my new little one. If anyone else has any ideas to help, please share your experiences.

Love the Sebrights!!

Claudia

Quote:
I started with a dozen sebright chicks this spring. I now have 5. Two cockerels and three hens. They are flighty but the whole batch that hatched with them are the same way. Had alot going on when they were small and didn't get to handle them much. They are starting to mellow some now though. I brooded them with 6 BCM that hatched at the same time. I lost two that got pushed in the corner of the brooder, two that fell in the top of the feeder and two just died without any signs or symptoms. Of my two roos one looks like the picture of yours in that it has pointed feathers on it's neck so it isn't quite henny feathered. I think I need to cull this roo If I want to breed to standard. Is this correct?

Back
Top Bottom