sebright thread

Pics
does their lacing get better with age? my babies have great wing feathers and...some have nice lacing on their necks and chests but they all have no lacing on their butts (the top side :) I have 8 babies and they are 4 weeks now
celebrate.gif
I need to get more picts posted!

O NO! I NEED HELP! One of my 4-5 week old sebrights is hurt
hit.gif
...It is the same one that was quarentine the day after they arrived because his chest made a poping sound...I think my son was to blame....and now his/her leg is badly swollen at the hip intersection...The chick does not seem to notice at all and is very up-set at being back in the house...and is hopping and flying all over...the swollen area just seems to be fluid filled and the skin is NOT tight and has NO redness and it does not seem to hurt when I touch or push on it....but it is huge and poofy...
What could this be? and How can I treat it? ANYONE? PLEASE?
fl.gif

barnie.gif
hit.gif

Dang. I just don't know what I'd do. Post it in emergency and disease section. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well I know a little about pre-vet stuff but I only took one class on it so far, the advanced one isn't until the next semester. But I believe you're supposed to check for any sharp points in the swollen area, use two finger to do so and don't apply pressure if there is immediate danger to the bird. If you can feel it out of place you need to pop the top of the hip bone back into the socket. Hope that helps, because if its snapped, fractured or generally broken I'm not totally sure if thats a good road to travel down (but there's a wrap, or cast for everything), you shouldn't let it suffer if it doesn't have to.

Last edited:
Yep...did that...We think it is a fluid abscess??? My dad had one on his head and he had a dog with one on it's hip...Fluid fills between the layers of skin forming a pocket, it is not dangerous, or painful, and can be drained but normally they come back unless you cut it open and scrape the skin to promote scar tissue to heal the two layers of skin back together...We are watching it now as it does not seem to be getting any bigger and it does not hinder his movement, so this is good, it just looks kinda funny!

Back
Top Bottom