Sebrights are they really hard to find?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by offshorewife, May 16, 2009.

1. offshorewife

offshorewife Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    North Louisiana
    We recently saw some Golden Sebrights at a local petting zoo/farm but I was immediately able to tell that they were not very good quality birds or were not well taken care of even though I'd never laid eyes on one before. Which is why we left there empty handed. Anyway, I went straight home and started looking for them. After searching BYC for hours on end it seems to me that they are either rare or not very popular. Which is it? Does anyone know why they are so hard to find from except from hatcheries? Am i missing something?

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I dunno...
    I'm looking for golden sebrights myself. I haven't been able to find any locally yet. I haven't given up hope yet though [​IMG]

Bluemoon

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I know there are a few breeders on here. [​IMG] I am not one of them, but I do have some Golden Sebrights from Ideal. I would like some SQ ones, but for now, i'm sticking with what I got.

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I have 2 Golden Sebright Roos, 1 Silver Sebright Roo, 2 Golden Hens, 1 Silver Hen. I might be getting rid of one of the golden roos.

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I had a pair that I bought locally, but recently my pullet died. I, too, am looking for some more. I am absolutely in love with this breed. All I have found were from hatcheries.

6. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    my hens are verrrry sweet and love to jump on my shoulders right when I walk into the coop. The roos though are a bit flighty, and one of em flogs my feet so I hang him upside down so he learns his lesson and he dosn't do it again, he still loves to attack my mother I heard her screaming the other day, ran outside and she was throwing the loaf of bread that she was going to feed to them at the roo.

7. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Show quality Sebrights are hard to come by. They are rare because they are very difficult to breed. They have extremely short backs which makes mating difficult and weakens fertility. The lacing and perfect, complete hen feathering is a challenge to breed. People just don't like to bother with them. A friend of mine has had them for several years now and just got his first 10 chicks ever. Beautiful birds, just difficult to breed.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I always see a bunch at shows--I think it is probably a question of where you are located versus where different breeders are located. When I first got silkies they were extremely hard to find in Arizona; now there are a lot of folks here with them.

9. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Jerry Bonds, Ila GA has the best

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I've been looking for some good silver sebrights in my area for my hubby but I cant find any at all. Not even on eggbid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by