Sebrights

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Roosterboy, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I want to know everything about sebrights

How is their temperament?
    Egg laying?
    Good pets?
    Size?
    History?
    With ducks?
    anything else is good to.

Also, what colors are there besides silver and gold. I don't mean official colors but has anyone made a different color?

2. plester01

plester01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2007
    Foreman,AR
    The few that I have had all had a bad temper and were not friendly. But mabey some of them are good and I just had bacd luck.

3. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Temperament - high strung and sassy
    Egg laying - so-so. Small cream colored eggs. Maybe 4-5 a week average
    Good pets - They are hard to catch and very independent. If you have a few and hand raise them, I imagine they can make good pets, but I think there are better breeds to select over sebrights for pet quality
    Size - small...about 1/4 size of a standard
    They don't do well in cold, damp weather. They must have heat throughout the winter, preferably inside a large dry enclosure. They need to be kept busy to prevent boredom. They can also fly VERY well. I think they are smart, BEAUTIFUL birds...they are just very high maintenance.

All I know of is silver and golden.

Not sure about history or with ducks. I did have a D'Uccle bantam that did very well with a duck though. (The duck thought it was a chicken!)

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have 2 and they do not want to be touched ! They also fly into the trees so I don't let them out of the run to free range. IM not to excited about them.

5. dickiebird

dickiebird Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2007
    Cedar Hill MO
    The posts before me answer most of your questions, so so temperament, eggs are small and average amounts, OK pets but a little flighty, size of bird is small very small, no problems with them and our ducks, ducks stay to themselves chickens with chickens. Our birds are goldens, very nice looking, greart color and vivid markings.
    We ended up with the four we have due to a friend making hat bands wanting their feathers. Picked up these guys and then he was not to be found. They were right at home here so we kept them for our selves. His loss our gain.

6. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    I currently have a pair of silver laced. I've had lots of them in the past. Golds, Buffs and Silver. None of them were friendly. Laid in waves. May have a couple days they would lay daily then have a day off etc.

7. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    I have 5 pullets and 1 Cockeral, gold in color. They are very flighty birds. Do not like to be held at all. They are 6 months old and have not given me an egg yet. I don't find them to be mean, just not very friendly. Kinda disappointing, but they are very pretty to look at, so I'll give them that. They're a fairly small bird, about the size of a Bantam Old English game, I find.

Paula

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have one golden hen. I bought her about 3 months ago with chicks. The chicks were about a week old at most. She still has the chicks with her, and I have not gotten any eggs from her. She has calmed down quite a bit since I got her, but she still will not let me get very close to her.

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I love my sebright, but she is a nut for sure. I love that she looks like a cross between a chicken and a song bird. She's really fun to watch, but is certainly not a lap chicken.

[​IMG]

This pictures shows her personality. She is incredibly inquisitive about everything and yet completely freaked by it all as well. She is the first to come running up to the gate or to my hand if I have treats. She has never let me touch her though. Even as a small chick she hated it.
    [​IMG]

She is almost 30 weeks old and has yet to lay an egg so I have no info in that arena. She looks ready to me, but clearly has her own agenda.

10. frizzylizzy

frizzylizzy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2007
    I have a pair of silvers that I raised from day olds. The hen is very sweet and friendly. She will jump in my lap if I have food. When she started to lay, she was very consistent- about 5 eggs a week. Then she went broody and I haven't had an egg for a few months. I didn't let her hatch any babies. The rooster on the other hand I want to kill. His nicknames have been Napoleon, Studley and currently, Stew Pot. He jumps on every hen he can find, even if they are 2 or 3 times as big as him. His worst habit is attacking me. He only attacks me from behind and moves too fast for me to do anything about it. He may be small, but if I'm not paying attention, he hits me full force in the back of the leg and it hurts!
    I love the hens and would like to have more, but will never have another rooster.
    They do get a lot compliments because they are very attractive birds.

Elizabeth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by