Sebring Florida Backyard chickens

Astephens476

Hatching
Mar 30, 2018
hello all.
I hope you are doing good. I am moving to Sebring Florida and I’m trying to clarify the rules. I know the city can have two hens but can the county? I’m really feeling down about giving up my chickens?

1163894-fa6c82b73dd5829fc6acafd6a2529984.gif
florida.jpg

View attachment 1318077 View attachment 1318076
hello all.
I hope you are doing good. I am moving to Sebring Florida and I’m trying to clarify the rules. I know the city can have two hens but can the county? I’m really feeling down about giving up my chickens?
I am also interested in finding this out for Highlands County (Sebring Area). From what I understand, in residential zoning inside the city of Sebring you can have two hens. Does anyone know if you are in residential zoning outside the city of Sebring you can have chickens or two hens also?

Highlands County Code of Ordinances

4.5-31 "Definitions"
Livestock shall include all animals of the equine, bovine or swine class, including horses, mules, cattle, hogs, sheep, goats, and other grazing animals and any common farm animals including ducks, geese, turkey, and chicken.

Then you want to jump to Article 5

The answer depends on your zoning.

AU (Agricultural Districts) allow essentially unlimited poultry*, subject to some significant setbacks and other constraints, which are different for pigs and chickens than they are from most other livestock. (12.05.200 et al) *Permission required for more than 100 poultry, and for slaughter ops.

EU (Estate District) is subject to Public Hearing (12.05.201 et al):
8. The keeping or pasturing of hoofed animals, fowl, or livestock, as an ancillary use to a permitted use, and subject to the appropriate conditions and safeguards pertaining to setbacks from property lines and dwellings under separate ownership, number and type of hoofed animals, fowl, or livestock, to be kept which shall be set at the public hearing. Such setbacks for structures shall be not less than otherwise allowed in that district without a zoning variance.

The Residential Districts in the County become increasingly more restrictive. As I read it, even a Public Hearing won't allow a Poultry exception in R(x) Districts (12.05.211 et al):

D. Special exceptions. Permissible in this district by the BOA after public hearing and subject to appropriate conditions and safeguards are:

1. Any special exception in the EU district except the following:
a. The keeping or pasturing of livestock or animals, and
[...]

and finally:
Section 12.05.316. - Keeping and maintaining animals including exotic and wild animals.

A.
Except as provided by this section and section 12.05.201 of this chapter, it shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain any hoofed animals, fowl or livestock regardless of number, or permit them to be on any lot or premises within the limits of the unincorporated areas of Highlands County, Florida, unless it is zoned for agricultural purposes.

And to be clear, I am NOT an Attorney. This is NOT Legal Advice. I'm just an oppinionated guy with odd reading habits, so I know where to look (usually) to start finding answers to questions like yours.

Back
Top Bottom