**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Anyone have some interesting facts to share while we wait to set?
A group of turkeys is called a "rafter"
big_smile.png

GAH! I just started getting eggs, I'm not ready for a set day of April 7. No way I can have 24 eggs by then when only 2 of 5 are laying as of today. I want to join, but I will be behind, so am I in or out?

Quote: So you set as many turkey eggs as you have on the 7th and then the following week, you set however many chickens it takes to make-up the difference.......then they all hatch together and only one brooder is needed and everyone is happy because you joined us!
thumbsup.gif

The bumps on the heads of turkeys are called caruncles. The thin feathers that stick out on a tom's chest is called a beard.

Turkey meat contains tryptophan, an amino acid that the body uses to make serotonin, a neurotransmitter in the brain that helps regulate sleep.

Ever wonder why you are tired after Thanksgiving dinner?

The bumps on the heads of turkeys are called caruncles.  The thin feathers that stick out on a tom's chest is called a beard.

I just cannot believe those wiry things in the turkey "beard" are really feathers. They are VERY bristly. I do wonder what the purpose is for the thing, or what it used to be if it ever had a prehistoric use.

Some hens have beards too. This makes it difficult to sex turkeys sometimes. "Whoa, a beard, must be a Tom. How am I getting 3 eggs a day with my trio (two hens and a Tom)?".' Cause none of 'em are toms, that's why!
:D

Last edited:
Hi everyone I'm still alive and so busy what's new. My turkeys are laying not all but I'll have some to set and maybe a few to ship I keep telling my Bourbons to lay but only the Palms and Midget Whites are starting up. I have some already in the incubator and I'll be sure to put more in there to hatch along with everyone else...

Back
Top Bottom