**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Tell me about tutor chicks. I am going to pick up my turkey eggs tomorrow.
big_smile.png

And....ummm...am I really going to get a straitjacket or is the pretend one enough?
Mine has to be imaginary one.......otherwise my DH might decide it could be used to keep me from visiting here and hatching more turkeys and chickens!
dindon1.gif

Tutor chicks are not absolutely necessary.  They do help teach the poults to eat and drink better/faster.  You can always use more chickens right?
Which do you prefer, real or imaginary?  :lau

Do they need to have hatched at the same time or can they be older. I have no idea why I am asking that, because we all know I will be setting more. :D

You're probably safe (I don't think I have your address anyway - I prefer my SJ gifts to be a secret) and for some reason I think an imaginary straitjacket is par for our course.

I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off with all my regular life duties so the SJ factory is a bit backed up, anyway.

You had it at one time, but I hope you have lost it. :) Besides, I look much prettier in my imaginary one.

Quote: One week after setting your turkey eggs, add some chicken eggs. Instant tutors! I did that last year, added silkie eggs and Lurkey grew up with silkies. When they would go into the coop at night, Lurkey would jump up to the roost alone and the silkies would dogpile on the floor.

Last edited:
Do they need to have hatched at the same time or can they be older. I have no idea why I am asking that, because we all know I will be setting more.
big_smile.png

You had it at one time, but I hope you have lost it.
smile.png
Besides, I look much prettier in my imaginary one.

I was actually just thinking that I had it because you almost bought some turken eggs from me...

I'll be throwing in some of my own mutts a week after the turkeys and hope that Thriller is the daddy.

Arielle... I've got a ton of duck eggs. Send the recipe?

I didn't keep it-- googled it : free recipe french vanilla. Where is gives an egg count, usually yolks, double it and use duck eggs instead. A word of caution- keep portions small. Edited: make a BIG batch, but eat in small portions. lol

Also, pick a recipe that cooks the cream and yolk mixture, use a hot water bath to control, ahem, PREVENT curdling.

THis is a basic simple recipe so any should be good.

Last edited:
well.. it seems I have been hijacked...

In all honesty i don't know if I will be hatching turkeys this year .. my bators are full.. and I still have a bunch out in the coop that need to go to Camp Kenmore!

BUT.. I did just throw this together for y'all:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/turkey-incubation-and-hatching-guide

it's a work in progress.. but I think it may help a smidge

and I'll let y'all know if I decide to throw some turkey eggs in the bator this time around!
FINALLY FOUND THIS!! took me a while of reading AGAIN!!

Brooder is the same as chickens, same type waterer too?

And is there a turkey starter I need? medicated and what if there are chicks with them? what do I do food wise then?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I was actually just thinking that I had it because you almost bought some turken eggs from me...

I'll be throwing in some of my own mutts a week after the turkeys and hope that Thriller is the daddy.

Yep! But I have moved so I am safe. Whew!!!!

I will be setting more of my Violet Laced Wyandottes, and probably some Alohas. :)

Quote:
I use the same waterer that I use for chickens

same kind of brooder too

turkeys do best on game bird starter or turkey starter if you can find it (both have higher protein than chick starter)... the game bird starter won't hurt chicks for being on it while in the brooder.. but i wouldnt keep them on it long term (causes them to grow faster and long term can put a strain on their liver)

turkeys can be on regular chick starter.. but they won't get all the nutrition they need so they will grow slower.. and many chick starters lack the niacin that turkeys need.. so if you go with chick starter add some niacin to the water to help avoid leg and joint issues in the poults.

I try not to use medicated feed for any of my birds.. but some times that's all that's available. It won't hurt them.. I just prefer to stay away from medicated feeds.

Back
Top Bottom