**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Lord, I really need to catch up on this thread!! I should be less busy this week, so joining in some. I had to set my chicken eggs yesterday, so can I still play along????
fl.gif
Always welcome in this one. There are some pointers on the first post, as well as some contests!! We're casual- just chat along and try to help each other to restrain ourselves!!

I might be picking up some ducklings today to add to my poultry collection
big_smile.png
. Ive read alot about ducklings but does anyone else have any tips?

SCG's Quick Guide to Ducklings:
1. They make a GIANT, wet mess. If brooding indoors, get incontinence bed pads at your local pharmacy and put those down in the brooder. Change at least every 24 hours.

2. Ducklings are incredibly cute and look great in your bathtub. Throw some peas or shredded lettuce in. Don't worry about them "getting wet" - they'll dry off. Do this while you're cleaning the brooder and letting it dry. And then when you're done with them swimming put them back in the brooder, and then bleach your tub. Twice.

3. Ducklings will steal your soul. They also love to be fed dried mealworms through the brooder window or thrown into their water dish.

3. Ducklings don't really need heat and heat lamps like chicks do, but if you're going to let them get wet in the tub it's not a bad idea to have one over their brooder. I used an 80 watt regular bulb. It helps them dry off.

4. Don't give them too high of protein feed. I started with 22% then moved to 18% and then to 16% pretty quickly. They grew like weeds. They also had some joint problems, so supplement their water with some liquid B or liquid multivitamins with b vitamins in it.

5. They can go outdoors pretty quickly. They are a lot more cold tolerant than you'd think.

6. Ducklings LOVE to be carted around in trains.

7. Ducklings teach you lessons in life. Every now and again the universe randomly flips you the bird.

SCG's Quick Guide to Ducklings:
1. They make a GIANT, wet mess. If brooding indoors, get incontinence bed pads at your local pharmacy and put those down in the brooder. Change at least every 24 hours.

2. Ducklings are incredibly cute and look great in your bathtub. Throw some peas or shredded lettuce in. Don't worry about them "getting wet" - they'll dry off. Do this while you're cleaning the brooder and letting it dry. And then when you're done with them swimming put them back in the brooder, and then bleach your tub. Twice.

3. Ducklings will steal your soul. They also love to be fed dried mealworms through the brooder window or thrown into their water dish.

3. Ducklings don't really need heat and heat lamps like chicks do, but if you're going to let them get wet in the tub it's not a bad idea to have one over their brooder. I used an 80 watt regular bulb. It helps them dry off.

4. Don't give them too high of protein feed. I started with 22% then moved to 18% and then to 16% pretty quickly. They grew like weeds. They also had some joint problems, so supplement their water with some liquid B or liquid multivitamins with b vitamins in it.

5. They can go outdoors pretty quickly. They are a lot more cold tolerant than you'd think.

6. Ducklings LOVE to be carted around in trains.

7. Ducklings teach you lessons in life. Every now and again the universe randomly flips you the bird.
#1 is the exact reason I brood ducks on wire as soon as possible. They will totally soak any wood chips in your brooder, along with any other birds, as quick as you can change out water bowls. Also, don't stand too near when they are drinking or playing in water or you will get a shower whether you need 1 or not.

#1 is the exact reason I brood ducks on wire as soon as possible. They will totally soak any wood chips in your brooder, along with any other birds, as quick as you can change out water bowls. Also, don't stand too near when they are drinking or playing in water or you will get a shower whether you need 1 or not.

Yeah I used bath time to put a large box fan on top of the brooder and dry it off a bit. I'd first scoop out all the wet shavings by the water (that got soaked despite the incontinence pad) and then threw the fan on top.

I'd also have to clean the bathroom floor from the duck splashing... but they had such a great time.

th

Second Annual Cinco De Mayo Turkey Hatch a long Digest 4-13-2013

I posted informantion about a free Necropsy service for Backyard Flocks in California.
thumbsup.gif

SilkieSensation does not dub the combs on her OEGBs
sickbyc.gif
. Fiance enjoys Goosie kisses...
lau.gif
tqazcat70 shared Duckling photos.
love.gif

PoulryGirly joined us! Call duck go into lockdown on Cinco de Mayo...
wee.gif

HEChicken has quite an organize broody hatch that involves Muscovy's, Turkeys and of course chickens. Some are in an incubator too.

Arielle sold Turkey eggs today. Someone Drove an hour to get them!
th.gif

ceocka had 10 hatch today!

Sally Shunshine wished us a good morning!
thumbsup.gif

I posted pics of two Black Penes that hatched!
love.gif

Quirky Sue is driving to get welsummer hatching eggs today!
smiley2126.gif

cuppycake set her tutors and now has15 Turkey eggs and 26 chicken eggs incubating!
fl.gif

wildriverswolf90 explained, using excellent chicken math, why it is OK to have 70 to 80 chicks hatching and it still being OK to refill the bator...
woot.gif

chicken pickin is getting Ducks! And a Pond!
wee.gif

Razadia posted that her dates were off....I thought she had gone into labor but it was only more chicks hatching.....

dsqard is quickly getting eggs into the bator before DH notices.(does that really work?)
pop.gif
ThaiDye posted a hatch update. She did not get hers into the bator--DH picked up the shipment for her!
lau.gif

Mahonri is back! Apparently Icelandics, contrary to their name, do not like to set on cold eggs..He is going to have to break out the Brinsea....
gig.gif

cmfarm hatched out a bunch of Blue/black sex link chicks. Post 1396 has a picture of them!
love.gif
They are Barred Rock X Blue Marans.
droolin.gif
Now I want chicken dinner....
Debs_flock posted pictures of Silver Campine chicks. Wisher will get some soon!
wee.gif

wolftracks has a lot of eggs at her place and set hers, to make room I guess. She is also getting eggs to schools and neighbors.
grinning-smiley-003.gif

SCG posted a guide to raising Ducklings.
grinning-smiley-003.gif
Post 1406.
NotAFarm posted an Haiku!

Until tomorrow..............

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom