**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

I set my eggs this past Sunday and just realized i can be part of this hatch along i set 12 silkies blue and also black split lavender. And 18 of my barnyard mixes ihavevariety of hens covered by a golden campine roo and a red sex link roo. And this is my first hatch so I'm hoping it goes well

Be thankful it is not snow. Woke up to about an inch of the white stuff on the ground this morning. Sooooooooooooooo ready for spring.
barnie.gif

sad.png
awww so jealous we got absolutely no snow this winter. I love snow
for those of you who want snow... you are welcome to come to myplace. We were gifted with 19.5 inches yesterday through last night with another mother storm coming through the day after tomorrow....
hit.gif
I was hoping to hear if our offer for our AZ land was accepted today because I am totally ready for winter to be over.

I set 18 chicken eggs last night. I was supposed to have another shipment come this week but I asked them to postpone it due to the storms. I set the ones that arrived early with a few from my mutt layers to make it an even 18. We have mutts all around, some will be super blue layers, and there are also some crested legbar in there too I think. I am a little sad I didn't get to fill up the incubator with them all at once, but oh well.... I never was able to find turkey eggs around here. Found some people willing to sell me full grown ones though, along with full grown peacocks. I wish I had more space. with the snow, I don't expect to get out building the new pens any time soon.

Question about the broody pics.... Can I post one of a broody that isn't mine? She is sitting on my eggs since she lives where roosters are a no-no....

I pretty much skipped about 80 posts or so because I got behind. Didn't find Ron's update for today so may have missed that too. Was up until 4:30am last night packing eggs (remind me never to try to ship 120+ eggs & 4 bunches of plants ~plus other swap items~ all in the same day ever again!!! Alarm went off at 6:30am to get kids up for school. Luckily JJ took care of that, then I had to go get the last 36 rainbow eggs to wrap & ship out & ended up coming home with 2 big bags of strawberry runners & a pile of garden seeds as well. After eggs were wrapped, I went back to sleep. JJ actually let me sleep pretty much until the kids got home, now HE's taking a nap...LOL He did all of the feeding & watering by himself today. With 300 birds, that's a lot of work.

Razadia... PM address, STAT!

I've got to go wrap some duck eggs soon...
EGG BOMB ON THE WAY!!! Sent them out this morning
big_smile.png
17 Cots (for her dad), 7 assorted banties & 2 LF EE. HAPPY HATCHING!
jumpy.gif

lol.. national weather service says it's only 86 right now (I believe I'm just north of you)..
I think it was hotter a few hours ago.. felt like it was anyway
Send some of that heat my way!

I pretty much skipped about 80 posts or so because I got behind. Didn't find Ron's update for today so may have missed that too. Was up until 4:30am last night packing eggs (remind me never to try to ship 120+ eggs & 4 bunches of plants ~plus other swap items~ all in the same day ever again!!! Alarm went off at 6:30am to get kids up for school. Luckily JJ took care of that, then I had to go get the last 36 rainbow eggs to wrap & ship out & ended up coming home with 2 big bags of strawberry runners & a pile of garden seeds as well. After eggs were wrapped, I went back to sleep. JJ actually let me sleep pretty much until the kids got home, now HE's taking a nap...LOL He did all of the feeding & watering by himself today. With 300 birds, that's a lot of work.

Quote:
wee.gif
I'm so excited!

th

Second Annual Cinco De Mayo Turkey Hatch a long Digest 4-15-2013

….Wolfies hatch saga continues…ynepu, whose ancestors are the original incubators, posted a great explanation of Carbon Dioxide poisoning. See post 1503. Basically dead air can poison the chicks if there is not enough circulation around the incubator.

Billyb joined the hatch-very late but welcome aboard friend!

Oakgroveacres has Muscovy’s due on the 4th
fl.gif

Tazcat70 candled and did not see much but flattened yolks. Coldupnorth may have a small hatch too. Cuppycake sees 2 out of 15 developing but his still hopeful for a Cinco De Mayo Miracle! Mlmddh has 1 clear and the rest look ok—a broody may be taking over too! Razadia has 1 duck left and will set some of her flocks eggs tonight.
thumbsup.gif

QuirkySue set 16 wellie eggs today and Is hoping for a better hatch! Heyheypaula joined too! Pkillian joined today too!
smilies-3435.png

Mahonri will be starting the tutors a day late—well maybe just chickens since there are not turkeys set.
thumbsup.gif

The shortest verse in the Bible is: Jesus Wept. Wisher posted a long post about Silver Campines but the only thing that made and impression was: Wisher Squealed!
lau.gif
and of course catching a chicken In a parking lot....

Hurley had some hatch today! Turkeys and Tutors!

Jandcclark5308 joined us today!
smilies-3435.png

SCG had a brooder light out but saved them—early rising pays off sometimes…

Sally Sunshine is rehoming (or culling) her Ducks! Ducks have been battling chickens and the Hubs has had enough! To top it off, the insurance company is coming to take pictures….
somad.gif

Disqard posted snow pictures.
love.gif

HEChicken forgot to set tutors. Maybe buy some from the feed store?

Ynepu got a million eggs today in the mail! Post 1539. Crele dorkings? What? Do we all want them now too?
droolin.gif

Loghousemom set the tutors!
thumbsup.gif

SilkieSensation had a lot of help, but got an egg bomb off today….
celebrate.gif

Razadia is excited.
woot.gif

mrshaggie810 Candled today too!
pop.gif

Happy Tax Day!

Last edited:
Quote:
lol.. national weather service says it's only 86 right now (I believe I'm just north of you)..
I think it was hotter a few hours ago.. felt like it was anyway
Yeah, yeah, yeah....Y'all are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo funny.
tongue2.gif
tongue.gif

loghousemom let me know when that deal in AZ goes through. I will move in next to you!!!!

Last edited:

Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon

Mandatory Poultry Poetry Contest
WELL...... Not EXACTLY mandatory, but come on. anybody can write a Haiku! We want at least one entry from each participant.

Starts NOW -- Ends April 15Th Midnight CST
(then three days of voting)
Winner Announced April 19Th

Prizes! - Three Places - Winner's choice!
Prizes are subject to change, so don't decide not to enter because you don't like the prizes!
Shipping costs will be limited to $15 each, any amount above that will be the responsibility of the recipiant.

images
mystery_box1__40172_std.jpg
images

Prize List
Six Pack Surprize Hatching Eggs From ChooksChick
Mystery Box Prize (Do you feel lucky, huh?)
Hen & Eggs - Wire sculpture with wooden Eggs (9 1/2" x 11")
5+ Young Hosta Plants
1 McDonald's Happy Meal (or cash equivilent)
Six Pack BCM or OE (hen's choice) Hatching Eggs from Wisher1000

80 Colored Cable Ties for Chick ID

Loose Rules: (everything is loose in this hatchathon)
1. You may enter up to six poems, total. You may write and post as many as you want, but just PM me the six you wish to enter.
2. There must be no more than one submission per person, per day (I want to spread them out)
3. Poems must be poultry themed and one of the three types listed below.
Quatrains are limited to three stanzas.
4. Poems must be original, and unpublished.
5. Post your submissions on the main thread (here) and PM it to Wisher1000.
6. Open to all BYC members
7. Be sure to follow all of BYC's rules for content.
8. First place winner will get his/her choice of all available prizes. Winners will be announced on this thread and PMed their notification. Each must respond within 24 hours of the notification. If any of the winners do not respond to the PM request to choose a prize within the 24 hour time frame, the choice will go to the next place winners, in order.

Definition of Quatrain Poetry Type - Limited to Three Stanza's for this contest
A Quatrain Poetry Type or literary term is a stanza or poem of four lines. Lines 2 and 4 must rhyme. Lines 1 and 3 may or may not rhyme. Rhyming lines should have a similar number of syllables.

Definition of Limericks
Limericks are short sometimes bawdy, humorous poems of consisting of five
Anapaestic lines. Lines 1, 2, and 5 of a Limerick have seven to ten syllables and rhyme with one another. Lines 3 and 4 have five to seven syllables and also rhyme with each other.

Definition of Haiku Poetry Type
Haiku Poetry Type is a Japanese poem composed of three un-rhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables. Haiku poetry originated in the sixteenth century and reflects on some aspect of nature and creates images.

A mother hen clucked with pride
Her newly hatched chick jumped on her back for a ride
If they ever had to part
It would surly break the mother's heart
Even though she had twenty more at her side

mine are always in my signature..
smile.png
Funny I never looked, doh!!

frow.gif
good morning everyone. Its raining out here today
th.gif
I know we need it but boy I'm tired of the mud. I've got eggs in lock down due to hatch wWednesday
celebrate.gif

hope you all have a great day

Please end rain this way-- we need a little more here. No possibliity of rain pictures here as whe it has rained it has been over night , then gone. Raiin dance for here:
wee.gif

Cry for HELP from DUCK PEOPLE!

I HAVE A MAJOR ORDEAL TODAY! and of course the Day DH takes off work and is home to witness it!!
hit.gif

Our Ancona Drake, Clem is trying to kill the brahma roosters in the run!
The one rooster is ripped top of wattle down about 4 inches long! we put veterycin on it and gave him some antibiotics but DH don't care, the ducks have to go.
I locked him alone in the duck house for now, DH heard the commotion and came running and said I need to get rid of the ducks or he will get rid of them.
OMG the drake was physco and I couldn't even stop him! He flipped physco I swear!

Is this normal or what!! PLEASE TELL ME ITS NOT NORMAL!
I am so upset I have 17 eggs in the bator too!

Why cant everyone even ducks and chickens get along! why why why!
Sorry Sally-- those male hormones disrupt the peace.
hugs.gif
Hope you found a way to separate the ducks. Try imagining a 1000 pound stallion rearing up on his hind legs leaning on a fence with a hot mare onthe other side . . . that was my 8oclock even for the day. Shake some grain and he runs into his stall.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom