**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Durr. Sorry to hear about your duck eggs. :(. Poor babies. Are ducks more difficult to hatch than chickens?

The name game...... Loghousemom: I am a mom of three beautiful little farm girls and we live in a house with log siding on 15 acres. It is of course the house in my avatar. ;)

Hmmm, I know that I had something else to say, but cannot remember, and when I use the iPad on the road the quotes and multi quotes don't work, so I suppose that Is all I have to say now.

Its been a few years, but am I remembering wrong? Don't Coturnix only take 16-17 days? Didn't you say they are on day 21-22?
No, my chickens are on day 21 and 22. The Cots hatched 2 days ago. I had 25 that developed and only 4 hatched. Not I have 61 chicken eggs in. not sure they all developed since I can't see into many of them.

Last edited:
chiques chicks that is about how I work it too.  I try to keep the temps between 99 and 101 (forced air) and do dry hatches.  I never worry about what the humidity is.  Once they are in lockdown, I add water and just try to keep it from going dry.  I also only do this for fun (some good hatches, some bad just like you) so instead of running myself ragged over every little change I just don't sweat it.  I probably would feel a lot different if I was doing this for money though.  Wolfie, you need to at least get one of the hygrometers out of there so you aren't driving yourself nuts (well more nuts ;) ) :hugs
ETA - I also never use the vent plugs for the one styrobator I have.  I get the temps set with the vents open and incubate the whole time with open vents.

Same here, kinda. I use Brinsea incubators so I DON'T have to worry, and I only incubate - sometimes, not always - during the NYD, Easter, and now the CdM Turkey Hatch-a-longs. Not a business, purely for pleasure of hatching ANYTHING - even one chick or poult would be a win, for me. I have been fairly lucky and always had more than one hatch at a time; every living chick or poult is a miracle.

Actually, I avoided BYC Hatches at first, because of the Sturm and Drang of everybody's anxiety and disappointment. It is also why I don't candle, I don't like disappointment, so I prefer to just wait till all is done. Any hatchling is enough to thrill me.

My tummy gets tied up enough for the folks who have difficulties; I don't want to experience it for myself. So I just celebrate whatever success(es) I can. Sure, I am out some money for shipped eggs which don't hatch, but this isnt a source of income for me. I don't sell anything but eggs. Mostly for eating, but the employees of one particular feed store occasionally refer customers who have found themselves with a broody hen but no rooster. I sell "mutt" eggs for the same price as eating eggs, just to make other folks' broody hens happy. :)

Yesterday, we built the "flume" for the water return into the pond. Right now, without a pump and the rest of the Skippy Filter built, a garden hose stuck into the outlet provides a look at what it might look like in operation, once complete. The horse trough/Skippy Filter is on a platform and surrounded by redwood fence boards.

Nice and rustic, "Gold Country" kinda look, doncha think? I absolutely love it!

Last edited:
Yesterday, we built the "flume" for the water return into the pond. Right now, without a pump and the rest of the Skippy Filter built, a garden hose stuck into the outlet provides a look at what it might look like in operation, once complete. The horse trough/Skippy Filter is on a platform and surrounded by redwood fence boards.

Nice and rustic, "Gold Country" kinda look, doncha think? I absolutely love it!

It looks so pretty and peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom