**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

th

Second Annual Cinco De Mayo Turkey Hatch a long Digest 4-28-2013

chickin pluckin wants bees!
grinning-smiley-003.gif

ThaiDye has a creme legbar out but can't tell gender--it is too wet but if a chipmunk brown than a pullet it is!
celebrate.gif

Tammy N has 28 out of 29 Marans developing
woot.gif

wolftracks had to glue egg shells back together to tell what hatched. Her doe killed the babies.
hit.gif

SilkieSensatin will send DURR ducks for the cost of shipping
ep.gif
Wax Myrtle is thinking hard about getting some runners from SilikeSensation.
thumbsup.gif

cmfarm hatched 275 eggs from 381 eggs and is already selling them
yesss.gif

HEChicken made a good argument for always running the incubator full. Says told DH about the 275 chicks and told him "it could be worse....
lau.gif

yinepu questioned the advice to leave the vents closed for the first week. Yes, I would leave them open too.
hu.gif

karimw tanked on turkeys--only 2 left. there a bunch more for Mothers day though and 36 for a customer.

The first chick out for ThaiDye was a pullet! More have hatched how--after the lucky people went to the Beach!
clap.gif

JD4570 hears peeping! Pipping will be soon--has been egg bombed with fro-fro chickens....
wee.gif

wildriverswolf90 tired to fool us into believing kittens had hatched! I would love to see that egg!
duc.gif
Beautiful kittens!
love.gif

dsqard posted Utah nature pictures! SCG is going to visit tomorrow!

I have Guineas hatching! gotta go check on them....

Last edited:
Candled my eggs again today, day 14 for my chicken eggs due on May 5th. I ended up tossing two more eggs that were quitters, I had been watching both of them and sure enough they didn't show any further development and no longer had visible blood vessels.

Good news is all of the eggs that I really want to keep are developing. 14 out of 18 originals are left in the incubator, here is a short video of candling two of them:

I don't use the plugs, ever.

Have fun and welcome to the addiction! (Run now while you still have a chance.)

Ok, thanks!

X2.. those plugs should be thrown away

Got it!

OMG!!! Read my horrific vent problem on here. Don't use them. I tossed mine when I bought the LGs and now if I never forget again to reopen the ones on the Sportsman again, I think I'm good.

I am sorry.
My plugs have all gotten lost so obviously they are always out.

Thank you!

no idea who told you that.. but people have been hatching out eggs for hundreds of years in well vented "bators" from day 1 and getting very high hatch rates

leaving the plugs in is just a recipe for disaster if you happen to forget to remove them

This is from Sally Sunshine's Hatching eggs 101 article
hide.gif
That is where I read about doing it. I guess that everyone has a different method and I just need to take all the facts and create one for myself. PUT THE VENT PLUGS IN FOR THE FIRST 10 DAYS ONLY and then REMOVE ALL VENT PLUGS for the rest of the hatch!

Sally, please don't be offended.
hide.gif
I am NOT criticizing your article. I LOVE it and it is SO helpful.

The one that looks like momma

the solid gray

And the black with tabby legs and no tail
love.gif

Went out to work on some different shots to get ready for SCG's visit starting tomorrow!
wee.gif

Gorgeous pictures!

This is from Sally Sunshine's Hatching eggs 101 article
hide.gif
That is where I read about doing it. I guess that everyone has a different method and I just need to take all the facts and create one for myself. PUT THE VENT PLUGS IN FOR THE FIRST 10 DAYS ONLY and then REMOVE ALL VENT PLUGS for the rest of the hatch!

Sally, please don't be offended.
hide.gif
I am NOT criticizing your article. I LOVE it and it is SO helpful.

Well.. i still have to disagree with it..

After hatching out eggs (all kinds of birds) for as long as I have .. I haven't found a single benefit to leaving vents closed (or plugs in)

add in the risk of forgetting to open vents/ remove plugs... it's just not worth the risk

just for arguments sake...
then you have people like me who do staggered hatches.. going by the recommendation of leaving plugs in for 10 days that COULD be interpreted as leaving them in through the entire incubation if you have several different hatch dates (for example leaving plugs in for first 10 days for first eggs.. more eggs are added 5 days after the first.. so if I had to leave plugs in for them for 10 days that would move the original eggs from 10 days to 15.. and if I added in another batch in 5 more days it would bump it up to 20!)..
gig.gif
no thanks!.. I'll stick with my way where I get fantastic hatch rates consistently!

Last edited:
Well.. i still have to disagree with it..

After hatching out eggs (all kinds of birds) for as long as I have .. I haven't found a single benefit to leaving vents closed (or plugs in)

add in the risk of forgetting to open vents/ remove plugs... it's just not worth the risk

just for arguments sake...
then you have people like me who do staggered hatches.. going by the recommendation of leaving plugs in for 10 days that COULD be interpreted as leaving them in through the entire incubation if you have several different hatch dates (for example leaving plugs in for first 10 days for first eggs.. more eggs are added 5 days after the first.. so if I had to leave plugs in for them for 10 days that would move the original eggs from 10 days to 15.. and if I added in another batch in 5 more days it would bump it up to 20!)..
gig.gif
no thanks!.. I'll stick with my way where I get fantastic hatch rates consistently!

Thank you! More people have said to take them out then to leave them in for the first 10 days so I think I will start getting the temperature and humidity stable with the plugs out.

Oh yes, please. Ok, I really don't mind the froo froos either.
roll.png

A frou-frou cat and now frou-frou chickens?

Do I hear singing?
gig.gif

Looks like the hatching that I wasn't doing is a bust. I tried something different, and put the eggs in egg cartons. That's not going to work - even running dry, the air cells weren't getting bigger like they should. I've had temperature spikes too - with the temp. in the house going anywhere from the mid-60's to the low 80's like it does at this time of year, I can't seem to keep it steady. I started with over 2 dozen eggs, all of which were fertile, and all but 6 had quit before the last candling a few days ago. This is day 21, something should be happening in there, but - nada. Baby
bun.gif
stole the batteries out of my mini maglite, so I can't even candle the eggs at the moment.
roll.png
Oh, well, I have some more eggs that I've collected; I'll just have to do what I know works.

Last edited:
Our 4-week-old chicks from the Easter hatch-a-long had their first field trip outdoors yesterday. (They are being brooded in our basement.) They were a little timid at first, but quickly got the idea. The big hens came by to show them what to do.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
good afternoon :frow just popping over to say Hi. I have yet another broody :celebrate
my bantam black orp cricket is now on 4 of her own eggs plus three from my LF blue orp.
and I have a frizzle on 5 of her own eggs, Plus my two banty blue cochins have 18 eggs between them, one is due with her chicks on the first, the other is due for cinco de mayo.
I pulled two more eggs, they were starting to stink :( so that leaves me with 8 eggs.

Back
Top Bottom