**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Quote: I've found I actually have more problems when temps run low. I try to keep my bators 100-102F all the time (still air). If I let them go below 100F I have chicks taking WAAAYYYY longer to hatch than they are supposed to. I had chicks hatch a whole week late for the Easter hatch because my temps were averaging 98-100F. Only a few survived to make it that long. Since I bumped average temps up (this is 3 different bators, so I know it's not a thermometer issue) I've had 4 100% hatches from what made it to lockdown (75-90% over-all hatch rate counting all eggs, mostly shipped) since I bumped temps up & left them there.

Everyone's bators run differently, but I never suggest messing with temps during incubation once you find what works for your set up. It's just too easy to totally miss the mark trying to adjust with eggs already in the bator for lockdown. And I definitely wouldn't mess with temps for hatch when you run staggered hatches because that changes the development rate of all of the rest of the eggs as well.

There are always people who say differently & swear by what they tell you, however, you really have to find what works best for your own set-up. Everyone's incubator runs a bit differently.

th

Second Annual Cinco De Mayo Turkey Hatch a long Digest 5-2-2013

Loghousemom is hoping for weather warmer weather to finish repairing a shed to house the babies. Crazy weather—others are having a heat wave…

Ron, my sister is in Iowa. It snowed today. My parents are in Minneapolis MN for the weekend and they are also supposed to get a snowstorm with 6 inches of snow there too! It is crazy!

I have two BCM chicks drying, a banty zipping, and a duck that is half out. I have never hatched ducks so I don't know what to look for. It seems very lethargic and barely holds it's head up. Is that normal? It sometimes wobbles around, but does not seem to be fighting to get out like chicks do.

Get her into water as often as possible that's deep enough to make her float. Swimming will help strengthen her legs.

Ducks tend to pip bigger than chicks because of rounded bills rather than pointed beaks.

X2

Silkie. Do you have any suggestions on a way to heat a pool for them? I have a pool out there but it freezes every single night. it is just a blue kiddie pool, but it is all I have right now. We have been taking them out to the pool every afternoon, the temps have been in the 40-50s so they do not seem to want to be in the water for long. I think they would stay in longer if it were warmer. They really enjoyed the tub when we brought them home the first few days and I thought that same thing that you just posted above...that the more time in the water the better. I think I can make it easily accessible.

It also doesn't help that she cannot get in and out of the coop on her own. I need to extend the ramps so they are not so steep. Today I cleaned out the shed that I think I will move them into. I was going to use it for the oldest chicks but the door is floor level with just a 6 inch drop outside. I think it will work well for the ducks. The hubs is rebuilding the door frame so we can rehang the human door. I need to remove the bedding and refill it and then it will be liveable.

I don't know if males have this problem worse, but I think "she" may be a "he"

My girls have named them Pato and Petunia.

I have two BCM chicks drying, a banty zipping, and a duck that is half out. I have never hatched ducks so I don't know what to look for. It seems very lethargic and barely holds it's head up. Is that normal? It sometimes wobbles around, but does not seem to be fighting to get out like chicks do.
If it's acting fragile after it hatches, I'd give it a drop of Poly-Vi-Sol a couple of times per day for a few days. It really seems to perk them up.

Quote: Gender really makes no difference on leg issues. It's a nutrient deficiency. You can always take them in to swim in the bathtub...or, you can take a couple 5 gallon buckets of hot water out to mix in the pool right before putting them in for their swim. Most ducks really don't care if the waer is cold once they are feathered in & well insulated, but younger birds can get chilled if it's too cold for too long.
Ducks tend to take longer to hatch & longer to get up & moving. Just give it some time. If it still doesn't perk up once completely dry (2-3 hours after hatch) then try some sugar water, electrolytes or vitamins.

Ron, my sister is in Iowa. It snowed today. My parents are in Minneapolis MN for the weekend and they are also supposed to get a snowstorm with 6 inches of snow there too! It is crazy!

I know! A guy in Minnesota said some places there will get 20inches of snow! It is supposed to be 95 here tomorrow.....

Last edited:
I've found I actually have more problems when temps run low. I try to keep my bators 100-102F all the time (still air). If I let them go below 100F I have chicks taking WAAAYYYY longer to hatch than they are supposed to. I had chicks hatch a whole week late for the Easter hatch because my temps were averaging 98-100F. Only a few survived to make it that long. Since I bumped average temps up (this is 3 different bators, so I know it's not a thermometer issue) I've had 4 100% hatches from what made it to lockdown (75-90% over-all hatch rate counting all eggs, mostly shipped) since I bumped temps up & left them there.

Everyone's bators run differently, but I never suggest messing with temps during incubation once you find what works for your set up. It's just too easy to totally miss the mark trying to adjust with eggs already in the bator for lockdown. And I definitely wouldn't mess with temps for hatch when you run staggered hatches because that changes the development rate of all of the rest of the eggs as well.

There are always people who say differently & swear by what they tell you, however, you really have to find what works best for your own set-up. Everyone's incubator runs a bit differently.

Oh yes, still air is different. Mine are fan forced and I use a brinsea spot check inside of a water wiggle toy. It is very accurate. I have had great hatches with a lower temp at hatch.

Back
Top Bottom