**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

first chick from under my broody :celebrate from 50 something chicks I have hatched out of my frizzle 'fun color' group this is the first one to have chipmunk marks! It is so stinking cute :love I'm keeping it! No if ands or buts about it, IT STAYS :plbb I'll get pics of the other chicks tomorrow.

Looks like a cockerel.

:oops:

Quote:
Yep, we have a nice layer of ice and snow all over my nece green lawn and flower beds. My fruit trees are trying to blossom - I hope they survive this year! Nothing bore fruit last year because of late freeze like this :(

I'm hoping somebody here can give me some advice or something.... this is my first time incubating turkeys and I've had rotten luck so far, I'm not sure if it's me or the batch its self I've done chickens with not much issue but these bad boys are sending me for a loop. I started off with 6 and now I'm down to 1. 1 wasnt fertile from the get go then 1 by 1 they started getting blood rings and dying.... they'll be fine and moving one day then poof blood ring and goner. I have the temp at 100 in a LG still air and humidity at 55 I haven't had any crazy spikes in temp (up or down) or in humidity. Handeling with clean hands, rotating by hand 3 + times a day. I'm supposed to be locking down here in the couple days (I got started a little to late to actually hatch by cinco de mayo) and don't want to lose my last one if it's something I'm doing wrong
idunno.gif
The only thing I can suggest is candle them a little less often. It sounds like you are candling daily? I do like to take a look around 7 days to see if anything is developing, and then candle again before going into hatch, so I can pull any I know won't hatch, but I don't do any more than that. It can be really hard to tell if you have a quitter or one that is just sleeping, so lack of movement isn't a reason for me to pull it, and I would hate to pull something that was actually still going just because I misread it on candle.

The humidity seems a little high - I shoot for 35-45% for incubation, but I have a fan so maybe 55% is right for a still air.

... other than I don't know what the humidity should be for turkeys.
Same incubating conditions as for chickens.

See the above. Best way I know of, in my experience, to guarantee a cockerel is to declare "I'm keeping this chick no matter what!"
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Congrats everyone to the hatches so far. No action so far from mine and now I'm having to keep reminding myself that those other hatches are EARLY. Mine aren't due until Sunday so there's nothing to worry about yet....

Quote:
I use a tank heater in mine - keeps it open all winter long except for the coldest days. I use a floating one so it keeps the surface warm. It's a little bit in the way but they don't seem to mind.

Back
Top Bottom