**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Quote:
I use a tank heater in mine - keeps it open all winter long except for the coldest days. I use a floating one so it keeps the surface warm. It's a little bit in the way but they don't seem to mind.

Quote: This Spring has been crazy for everyone. Fishing opener is next weekend and there is still feet of ice on the lakes - not sure there has ever been a year that the ice wasn't "out" by fishing opener. We are lucky this time around with no snow for us in Northern Minnesota. I think most of the snow is south. We haven't been warm the last few days (last weekend was gorgeous) but it is reaching above freezing so the snow that we do have is departing (finally). The birds have moved North and I'm hearing lots of "love songs" from the Chickadees, Robins and Doves. There is hope for Spring!

First 3 tutors out and 2 more pipped! Come on babies!
celebrate.gif

We just candled ours last night and put them in lockdown. Started with 17 Barnevelders, 6 Easter Eggers and 19 barnyard mix. 16 Barnevelders, 5 Easter Eggers and 18 barnyard mix made it to lockdown. Really hoping for a good hatch.

Need wounded guinea advice: The guy putting in our new goat fence brought his dog with him yesterday and it attacked one of our guinea hens.
somad.gif

She's missing skin and feathers on most of one half of her back. Also has 3 pretty deep puncture wounds. I cleaned the wounds with diluted peroxide, then treated with iodine, then covered it with Neosporine. She's resting now in the basement (didn't want to leave her in the barn due to flies.) Bleeding stopped, but the wound area is looking darker this morning. Maybe just bruising? The shock seems to have worn off, and she's picking at her food a bit, but not really moving around. Anything else I should do for her?

Uphilljill, grats on the babies! So sorry about your guinea. :( I have no treatment advice, but did the fencing guy acknowledge it was his dog? Can you get him to pay for a vet?

ETA: if nothing else, you could file a claim against his liability insurance and receive the value of your poor little guinea.

Last edited:
Need wounded guinea advice: The guy putting in our new goat fence brought his dog with him yesterday and it attacked one of our guinea hens.
somad.gif

She's missing skin and feathers on most of one half of her back. Also has 3 pretty deep puncture wounds. I cleaned the wounds with diluted peroxide, then treated with iodine, then covered it with Neosporine. She's resting now in the basement (didn't want to leave her in the barn due to flies.) Bleeding stopped, but the wound area is looking darker this morning. Maybe just bruising? The shock seems to have worn off, and she's picking at her food a bit, but not really moving around. Anything else I should do for her?
Animal bites are bad because of bacteria. For bites, Tylan for several days and Vetricyn Gel.

Make sure the Neosporin does not have pain killer in it.

fl.gif
I hope the Guinea heals quickly!

somad.gif

That is awful poor guinea. Id be furious if someone brought a dog to my property. I also have no advice sorry but sounds like you are tending to her proper. Id also ask the guy if he would be willing to pay for a vet visit if you feel like your treatment may not work for her. It never hurts to ask especially when his dog did do the damage. I hope she gets better for you
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom