**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

I used on old old Singer when my mom taught me to sew. I was supposed to get that machine, but didn't. But on my 19th birthday my 2 oldest girls' dad bought me a heavy duty Morse. I have a curse of legs being to long for more pants. I can finally find jeans sometimes, but slacks or jackets are hard. Long legs = long arms. My mom couldn't find things to fit right when I was a little girl, so when I was 9 she sat me down at that singer and I made my first pants with a zipper after making a few other things.

I have 5 machines. Not even sure what a couple of them are. LOL  No room here, so they are in storage. I think the only one that's here is my Brother. It's not heavy duty, but runs great. We got lots of looks the day my husband bought me that thing. We only had the Harley at the time and it was on sale. I balanced that sucker on one knee all the way home. Then we made a second tri for the case. LOL  At least that was lighter and much easier to hang onto out of the box and using the handle. hehe

I have 3 machines that are OLD! They run better than any machine I see these days. Sergers?? Yeah I had one, but I only pulled it out when I wanted to get something done and was too frustrated to learn. As cool as they are and the things I've seen that people have made on them are very nice, I figure I can usually figure out a way to get the same results or close. Guess I'm too old to learn now.

Wow, quote worked! I second the recommendation to find an older machine. I have two - one POS cheapie Brother that needs to go, and my grandmother's Singer - made in 1951, straight stitch only, green, cast iron, weighs a million pounds, works like a million bucks. I love my green machine. :)

th.gif
The EEs made it through the night! They still aren't completely out yet and one has broken its yolk sack, but they are both still alive and making lots of noise! I have hope for them.

Winners of the poultry in action contest have been picked

1st place goes to debs_flock with the flapping gander pic

2nd place goes to uphilljill with the flying guineas pic

3rd place goes to mstricer with the flapping D'Uccle pic

Congrats to the winners and thank you everyone for participating!

Thanks all! And congrats to all the other winners and finalists. Special thanks to the organizers and prize sponsors.
clap.gif
So excited to place amongst all the great entries. Guess my incubating season isn't over just yet....
wink.png

Well, my Cinco de Mayo hatch is ongoing. I have never experienced or heard of anything like this. Short recap. I set the eggs the morning of Apr 7th, in my Rcom incubator. A week later, I moved them under a broody duck to clear space in the incubator. The broody duck's hatch appeared to be a no-go so I briefly considered letting her hatch and raise the poults. Then, a week after her eggs *should* have hatched, a lone duckling appeared, two days before the poults were due to hatch. So I hurriedly retrieved the turkey eggs and moved them to the hatcher, where I set the temp at 98.5 and the humidity at 65%. Sunday came and went, and the only activity was a pip late in the evening. That poult hatched mid-Monday afternoon. Poult #2 hatched next morning. Poult # 3 hatched the following morning and poult #4 hatched at 10:30 last night, some 60 hours after the first had hatched. This morning I moved the 4th poult to the brooder and in the absence of any more pips, assumed my hatch was over, however on candling the last 3 eggs, I saw movement in all, and one of them was tapping at the shell as I candled. That was this morning and as of now, there are still no more pips. Keep in mind this is now nearing the end of day 32! Yet, every time I shine a flashlight in the top of the brooder, one of the eggs rocks, so there is definitely still life in there. The duck's own egg hatched almost a week late, so I'm guessing the lateness is something to do with the low temps we've had here and possibly a lower than average body temp on the duck. What confuses me is that it is now about 80 hours since the first poult hatched, but the last 3 are still alive, rocking, but not externally pipped. I'm thinking under a broody they would have been goners long ago as the hen would have abandoned the nest to take care of the ones who had hatched. I'm determined not to intervene so I'm not really seeking advice, but more just asking the question, if anyone has experienced a situation like this themselves?
I was surprised to find one of the 3 remaining eggs pipped when I woke up this morning. The other two have since pipped and one of them rolled so vigorously it rolled clear from one side of the incubator to the other! They still seem very active. Still can't figure out why these guys are hatching 4 days after the first, when they were all set at the same time and incubated under the same conditions.

The four that have hatched are doing really well and I'm so relieved. I've heard reports of poults not eating well, but I'm seeing them pecking at the food in the feeder now so I think they're going to do fine.

Quote: When I was around 20, I went to IBM to interview for a job in the test lab. Part of the job was to run copious amounts of continuous feed paper through a printer the size of a small bedroom. In the interview, they demo'd how to load the paper. The interviewer (a middle aged man) looked at me and asked "Do you think you could do that?". I said, "Sure, it looks just like threading a sewing machine!". He laughed and I got the job.

Last edited:
I just have to post this picture of my granddaughter that my daughter sent me. She loves her Maymi's "caw-koos" and spends as much time as she can with them when she comes to visit. She has plastic, crocheted, stuffed and other chickens that she loves to play with......but I don't recall ever candling eggs with her.
She's trying to candle a plastic egg that obviously doesn't have any development.........just like SCG.....
roll.png
......do I need to start worrying? She is 2 and 1/2......

Quote: KItchenaids have plastic gears????? THey are so expensive to start with I'm shocked. I have one and it is 25 years old, and runs great.
The newer ones have plastic gears - but older ones have metal and that is why yours is still running great. Mine is over 15 years old and runs well and hope it continues to.

Back
Top Bottom