**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Quote:
I haven't had a problem with it. I boil them and crunch them up shells and all. My chickens will peck any egg they find to see if they can eat it, but they don't try very hard. They only weed out the weak shelled ones.

Won't feeding them back to the girls create problems by enticing them to eat them in the nest?
No, they do not associate eating eggs with eating eggs from the nest.

It is natural for them to peck an egg to see if it is good for hatching. If it breaks they will eat it.

Egg eating just to eat an egg is very rare. If Hens are eating eggs, the shells are too weak and Parasites or nutrition needs to be worked on.

Last edited:
I was at a dinner last night and had an inspiring conversation with a man from another church--- more and more food pantries have refrigeration and can store eggs, etc. My local food pantry does not have refrigeration, so I found a way to work around this. I donate extra eggs only on a specific night when the cartons are handed from me to a recipient and no storage is necessary.

So many options for extra eggs . . .

I've started freezing eggs.
hide.gif
ANd pickling eggs.
droolin.gif
ANd feeding back eggs . . . .

DH loves pickled quail eggs, there's a big jar of them in the fridge right now.

Won't feeding them back to the girls create problems by enticing them to eat them in the nest?

There is no association between cooked eggs and an egg in the nest.

Baking has been the easiest cooking method for me, don't have to get my hands icky breaking them up. And I've been practicing the one handed breaking of eggs that chefs do, LOL. More than once someone has wanted to eat these, until I point out I am not careful with shell bits and manure bits, LOL

With quail eggs, I drop them into the pan, pierce them with a sharp knife (so they can vent and won't explode in the oven when they get hot), then break chicken eggs over them. The whole quail egg is just embedded into the cooked egg.

DH loves pickled quail eggs, there's a big jar of them in the fridge right now.

There is no association between cooked eggs and an egg in the nest.

Baking has been the easiest cooking method for me, don't have to get my hands icky breaking them up. And I've been practicing the one handed breaking of eggs that chefs do, LOL. More than once someone has wanted to eat these, until I point out I am not careful with shell bits and manure bits, LOL

With quail eggs, I drop them into the pan, pierce them with a sharp knife (so they can vent and won't explode in the oven when they get hot), then break chicken eggs over them. The whole quail egg is just embedded into the cooked egg.

I thought I was the only one haha

I've also been giving hardboiled egg yolks to the babies. They love it. The outdoor pigs chickens get the whites.

Quote: I could use both. I have 1 BW hen in with my Tennessee Reds right now & need some friends for her & can always add more Cots.

I have calls, runners, scovies & pekins laying now. Rouens & Anconas aren't old enough yet.
Quote: If you have an oven, a 13 x 9 is MUCH easier than the stove top. Speaking for your little chicks, they would like some of the whites too-- great protein in leiu of crickets and worms.
droolin.gif

I will remember this the next time I run short on chick feed, but I still hate to see good hatching eggs go to waste & no one get adorable babies from them. (I know, MEGA ENABLER here.
gig.gif
)

I am ever so pleased Deb shared her egg baking chicken treat loaf idea and instructions some time ago, because that's what I do with my older eggs. I hard boil about 20 a week just for me (and Sparkle, ahe gets one every day) but bake several dozen in the oven every three weeks or ao.

With so many broody hens, I think I ought to bake the treat more often, because they sure can use the extra protein.

Back
Top Bottom