**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

Quote: I have one white scovy hen that refuses to get in the pool.. she will bathe beside it.. but refuses to go in
I have noticed some of my scovy hens do the dunk & shower method rather than climbing into the pool. I have a couple younger pekin hens that do the same thing, but I think they are more intimidated my the older birds hogging the pool than they are afraid of the water. The drakes can be a bit rough with the girls in the pool.

Quote: I have one white scovy hen that refuses to get in the pool.. she will bathe beside it.. but refuses to go in
I have noticed some of my scovy hens do the dunk & shower method rather than climbing into the pool. I have a couple younger pekin hens that do the same thing, but I think they are more intimidated my the older birds hogging the pool than they are afraid of the water. The drakes can be a bit rough with the girls in the pool.
Worth have the chocolates if they won't take a bath!! I have several pools so they have options. Usually the deeper pools are prefered by my big black drake, geez he is HUGE! HIs two sons are about 3/4 of his size. And I always find the chicken water dirty-- someone is doing the dunk and shower method!! Hmmm. the girls always look clean . . . . .

Worth have the chocolates if they won't take a bath!! I have several pools so they have options. Usually the deeper pools are prefered by my big black drake, geez he is HUGE! HIs two sons are about 3/4 of his size. And I always find the chicken water dirty-- someone is doing the dunk and shower method!! Hmmm. the girls always look clean . . . . .
My scovy hens are usually fairly clean but my poor pekin hens are always brown on the back within minutes of climbing out of the pool. Apparently the boys are not getting enough while IN the pool.
idunno.gif
No wonder my poor girls are always missing feathers on their heads & necks.
roll.png
At least we don't have a fertility issue with any of the ducks.
gig.gif

Hey, can anyone tell me when I can expect an egg from my duck? She is 12 weeks old this weekend. I think she is a duck because she quacks, I read that only the girls actually quack and the boys make those funny whistle/squeal/squeeks. If that is not true, I may be waiting a long time for a duck egg. Okay, at what age will the curly tail feather show up if it's gonna?

Hey, can anyone tell me when I can expect an egg from my duck? She is 12 weeks old this weekend. I think she is a duck because she quacks, I read that only the girls actually quack and the boys make those funny whistle/squeal/squeeks. If that is not true, I may be waiting a long time for a duck egg. Okay, at what age will the curly tail feather show up if it's gonna?

They'll start to get the curved feather at about 4-6 months in my experience.

If you're hearing loud QUACK QUACK QUACK sounds, it's a girl. If it's a raspy quacky sound - boy.

Boy is first on here, girl is second. I have no idea what the last 2 duck sounds are supposed to be.

Last edited:
Quote: Looks like the last 2 are supposed to be young male & young female just as voices start to change.

As for whistle & squeak, I'm betting you are talking about muscovies. Muscovy hens squeak & drakes hiss or whistle. A scovy hen makes a very tiny squeak sounding like a very young duckling who has been muffled or being heard from a distance. A drake will sound like he is laughing through his teeth (yes, I know ducks don't have teeth, but it sounds like a person laughing with the hiss that comes when they are trying to laugh without opening their mouth completely.) TssshTshhTssshTssshh

Back
Top Bottom