Second batch are here!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fishboy1, Apr 4, 2011.

1. fishboy1

fishboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Well the replacement chicks from McMurray arrived today and its a totally different story. All were alive and frisky. None seemed cold when I opened the box and they are drinking like crazy and eating. [​IMG]

I think the first batch were heavily stressed from the shipping and very cold when they arrived and that is why so many died. ( It was 37 and raining here when they arrived) Todays arrival was 68 degrees and the bathroom brooder was already up to temps when they got home.

There is one chick that is questionable in this batch simply because it is smaller than all the rest and is getting pecked.
    Both outside toes are missing the nail and red/bloody. The main culprit/bully has been put in time out (back in the shipping box) and was peeping its head off. If it starts pecking and beating up the other chicks again, he gets to go stay with his week old cousins in the other brooder. Maybe they can teach him some manners. [​IMG]

Any suggestions on what I can do for the little guy to give him a fighting chance? I held him a while and he chowed down when I put some chick starter in my hand. Tried to separate him but he got so lonely/anxious that I put him back with the rest of the brood. He is still strong, eating, drinking and pushing the other chicks back but they are 50% larger. Thought about putting some neosporin on his toes but not sure about toxicity issues.

We are much relieved at having a better experience this time! We are going to have to give some away in a couple weeks or I am going to have to build a MUCH MUCH larger coop ! The condo built for 7 isnt going to work for 42 !![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Just wishing you well on your new chicks. Good luck with them. [​IMG]

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Good luck and congrats!

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I have used neosporin before. They don't like the taste. They peck and then immediately do the face wipe thing. They have left her alone so you might try it. If you can get her through the next couple of days, she should be able to hold her own. [​IMG]

5. fishboy1

fishboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks N&M ! Ill give it a shot today.

They were all sleeping when I checked them and the little ones toes had scabbed up. Hope it makes it.

The main trouble maker got exiled to the big brooder last night with the week old chicks which are 2x his size. He tried to peck one and it just pushed him over. [​IMG]

Love to see a bully get a taste of its own medicine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by