Second chicken now ill - medication questions please

Here's an update: We are having a difficult time finding a vet who will run a fecal for a chicken without seeing her in person. At this time I hesitate to put her through that stress, but maybe I'm wrong? She's eating well - chick starter, bits of blueberries, yogurt, tomatoes (she picked her own on the back deck yesterday afternoon!), bits of kale, SCOBY pieces from our kombucha etc.with enough water to make a mash. The only antibiotic in our local feed stores is oxytetracycline HCI soluable, so we're going with that. Also using rooster booster vitamins & electrolytes with lacto bacillus in her water. She is perking up more today and her poopie is getting firmer
celebrate.gif
. Waiting on a call from another vet just outside our area. Here's this mornings photos. Victoria says she's trying hard to make a comeback. Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom.

The turn around is hopeful. Her comb is still pale, but her wattles have good color and aren't shriveled and curled up so much. It's hard to see just how skinny she is, but even that is changing for the better. I was overjoyed to see that white solid pee in her poop. It's been runny ick for so long. Hopefully Victoria will start eating the dry crumble food soon instead of just mash and treats. Still waiting for a callback from the vet.

Slight weight increase today. 4.64 yesterday; 4.67 today. Comb color is looking better, eating big girl crumble today along with her mash. Will feel better when she gets back over 6, better yet, 7 lbs.

Update: Victoria went to the vet yesterday. She is gaining weight, but then it goes down again. (between 4lb 6.5 oz and 4lb 12 oz) Her fecals tested negative, and blood work showed a slight inflamation, but nothing too bad. Her liver values were slightly raised probably due to her weight loss. The vet couldn't feel anything abnormal internally. No egg binding etc. The vet said that any fungal issues would have shown up in the blood work. We can not rule out cancer or a tumor; but to have 2 unrelated chickens get sick like this at the same time, we are leaning towards a dominant third chicken that's prevented the other two from eating properly especially during our extreme hot summer. It was good to know that we have been doing everything she could recommend and then some. It was also good to know that the clinic will do a no charge necropsy if Victoria should pass away.

I've been following this thread bc I have 2hens who I believe have the same problem as yours. I just ordered the medication online and hoping that the worst of the 2can hang in there until it comes in 3 days. I'm wondering how Victoria is doing? I hope she is doing much better by now. Please let us know.

I've been following this thread bc I have 2hens who I believe have the same problem as yours. I just ordered the medication online and hoping that the worst of the 2can hang in there until it comes in 3 days. I'm wondering how Victoria is doing? I hope she is doing much better by now. Please let us know.

Back
Top Bottom