Second guessing my brooding pen / integration plans

They're sleeping off their long trip in the box ...any pics of your coop brooder?
I just sent off 20 chicks hatched for a friend....it got real quiet all of a sudden.

OK, here's some pics. Not real clear in the photos, there's a front door with a removable frame of hardware cloth. When removed, there are wooden dowel bars to allow the chicks to come and go while excluding the grown-ups.

Also, underneath the pine shavings is hardware cloth, and under that is old bedding, same as in the coop. Once the pine shavings gets fouled, I'll do a mix of the old bedding from the coop with more pine shavings, gradually using less of the fresh pine over time.

And here's one more pic, that doesn't show a thing about the brooder setup, just because it's one of those days that makes you realize winter is really over.

Never mind. Site not cooperating with my phone tonight.

Last edited:
Also, underneath the pine shavings is hardware cloth, and under that is old bedding, same as in the coop. Once the pine shavings gets fouled, I'll do a mix of the old bedding from the coop with more pine shavings, gradually using less of the fresh pine over time.

I don't think I understood what you wrote here. Would you mind explaining to me why you are adding old bedding into the brooder?

I don't think I understood what you wrote here.  Would you mind explaining to me why you are adding old bedding into the brooder?

Studies that were done on using old bedding showed lower incidence of mortality among chicks. They develop stronger immune systems.

Still finishing my coffee, but I think they also acquired some vitamins/minerals they didn't otherwise get. That though was prior to the feeds we use nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom