Second opinion/Breed & Gender clarification.

Ricchan

Chirping
Jun 21, 2022
I picked up two "pullets" off craiglist but someone has pointed out that I've been scammed and these are cockerels. They're between 8.5-9.5 weeks in these pictures.
I was also told they're lavender orpington mixes? but others were saying they're blue laced red wyandottes.
Taters is the lighter more lacey one, Tots is the brown chested/over all more brown one.

unknown.png
No photo description available.
No description available.

I'm very new to this but to my untrained eye it looks like you have one of each to me. Tots being the Roo and Tater the pullet.

Tater looks like she has smaller wattles and her feathering looks female to me whereas Tot looks like he is starting to get his big boy feathers.

And yes I think they are Blue Splash Red Wynadottes ( I think this is what it's called, some say Splash Wynadotte and say red splash Wynadotte) but whichever way they are definitely Wynadottes.

For what it's worth I think they are stunning!

**Just wanted to add, if you hadn't put their age I'd have put them older...

Last edited:
I'm very new to this but to my untrained eye it looks like you have one of each to me. Tots being the Roo and Tater the pullet.

Tater looks like she has smaller wattles and her feathering looks female to me whereas Tot looks like he is starting to get his big boy feathers.

And yes I think they are Blue Splash Red Wynadottes ( I think this is what it's called, some say Splash Wynadotte and say red splash Wynadotte) but whichever way they are definitely Wynadottes.

Thanks for chiming in! Tater is definitely more skittish and fearful than Tots which makes me think she can possible be a pullet. Tots can be easily picked up but he? is much smaller than Tater so I was hoping they'd both be pullets :( Where I live, we can't have roos unfortunately. They're so pretty, I've gotten so attached to them in the last week. Going to be hard parting them. They also stick to each other like glue (the older hens bully them).
-edit- I was so caught up in the gender, I forgot you also mentioned the breed! The splash makes they extra pretty! I love it.

**Just wanted to add, if you hadn't put their age I'd have put them old...
You think the sellers gave me the wrong age? My mom thought they were kinda chonky for their age, which is why she thought they were roos too. Here's a picture of them near the oldies. (A bit blurry, was getting dark out hah)

As I say I'm super new to all this, but when I looked at the pictures I'd only skimmed the post in all honesty and from the pictures I thought they were more like 12-14 weeks.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and I've noticed Wynadottes are super hard to tell the difference for quite a while so don't give up hope yet!

I take it you haven't heard a crow?

As I say I'm super new to all this, but when I looked at the pictures I'd only skimmed the post in all honesty and from the pictures I thought they were more like 12-14 weeks.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and I've noticed Wynadottes are super hard to tell the difference for quite a while so don't give up hope yet!

I take it you haven't heard a crow?
They still just make little peep sounds :( It's adorable.

She's so pretty! And ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh she's so waddle-less compared to mine 😭
Thank you! BLRWs are just the prettiest chickens! I’m sorry yours are boys! I just came to terms with my favorite gorgeous lavender cuckoo Orpington being a rooster too. Super bummed and now I have to figure out how to keep him 😆

I think BLRWs make really wonderful roosters though, it’s really too bad you can’t keep them. :-(

Thank you! BLRWs are just the prettiest chickens! I’m sorry yours are boys! I just came to terms with my favorite gorgeous lavender cuckoo Orpington being a rooster too. Super bummed and now I have to figure out how to keep him 😆

I think BLRWs make really wonderful roosters though, it’s really too bad you can’t keep them. :-(
Yeah city ordinance doesn't allow them, maybe if they don't crow... but I only have 2 hens so they'd tear up my poor girls. :( I don't have space for a bachelor pen even if they never crowed. Guess I'll have to start searching for another few BLRWs. I can't get over their feathering pattern. They've won me over.

Back
Top Bottom