second rooster

lynnemabry

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Beautiful Lake County
Last weekend one of my young EE decided to tell me she is a he. Cock-a-doodle was as far as he got. That gives me 10 pullets and 2 roos. Hopefully this will not be a problem since I think he will be very handsome. I would take picts but my battery is dead. And to think that I picked him as an afterthought.

I guess the only thing I am worried about is nights and rain days when they are cooped up. Already a couple of the pullets combs get minor scratches if they are cooped for too long. They mostly free range mid morning till dusk (have acres but am on a road, so not too many cars) unless I have a crazy day. Oh, and my first roo is a ordinary white leghorn, though he will tell you he is very special.

Can my roo's be friends?

Some people manage to keep more than one. Right now I have 15 hens and 3 roos. So far so good, though my plan is to give one away; the fellow just isn't ready to take him.

It just depends on their personality. And we should all be monitoring for a hen or two getting damage for mating, anyway.

Were the roosters raised together? If they've been raised together, oftentimes they'll get along just fine. You'll have to keep an eye on them just to make sure they don't seriously injure each other, but I currently have six roosters in my coop (trying to rehome two of these) and because they were all raised together they don't cause each other any harm. Usually they establish a hierarchy, one is the dominant rooster and the rest are lower in rank, and then the only scuffles are minor--like hen fights.

Anyway, I think it's worth a try. If all else fails you could always rehome one or the other.

Last edited:
They may get along or they may not. Only time will tell. One will be dominant and the other subordinate. It will depend upon how tolerant the dominant rooster is and how challenging the subordinate is. Two roosters to ten hens may result in a lot of wear and tear on your hens. I'd be more worried about them than the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom