Secret Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SecretHenKeeper, Jan 8, 2016.

1. SecretHenKeeper

SecretHenKeeper New Egg

Jan 8, 2016
    Hello Chicken keeping friends!
    Tomorrow I am getting my first two chickens, and they kind of fell in my lap unexpectedly. I have a friend with chickens so I have a little knowledge. Building them a coop tonight from a old cabinet I have and when I know it's going to work out good I will get them a nicer one. I am pretty sure I can't have chickens however I have decided to keep the "stupid" card in my back pocket just in case. I will be looking at the clipping wings section so they don't leave. I would love any advice on rehoming these two hens and how to make them happy to be here as soon as possible?
    Thanks!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Always have a plan B when you attempt stealth chickens. There is always someone who has to meddle and report to the authorities. If you only have two, you might keep them as house pets of sorts. There is a very good thread called "people with housechickens."

5. SecretHenKeeper

SecretHenKeeper New Egg

Jan 8, 2016
    I have a pretty big yard and no houses behind me. I am going to build them a tractor that looks like a garden cart with a fence area behind it. And some concealing plants in pots around that. After reading forums, I realize I can't let them free range without being outside with them in fear of the many hawks. I don't think house chickens would work for us. Plan B is play stupid, then find them a new home I guess... Or buy them off with fresh eggs. Haha!

6. Huevos Royale

Huevos Royale Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2016
    I am in the same boat, not technically supposed to have chickens, but hoping that my HOA will use some common sense. I would not hesitate to classify my chickens as "Emotional Support" animals if it came down to it. Having to get rid of my chicks would definitely make me emotional!!!:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by