Secret Farm in my Backyard

mmmyyykkkeee

Songster
8 Years
Jan 16, 2015
I grew up in my grandma's house where I see a lot of chickens everyday. The moment they go down from the trees (Yes, the chickens here roost on tree branches) and eat their first meal until they go back to the trees to go to sleep.

Since then, I became fascinated with chickens and I knew that someday I will raise my own flock. When I transferred to my parent's house, I asked my grandma to give me 1 hen. Of course, my very loving grandma gave me a pullet. Unfortunately, the pullet did not reach the "Laying" stage. She just disappeared and I knew that one of the neighbors was the culprit. I asked another chicken from my grandma and she gave me another pullet and same story happened. I never lost hope, I asked another one. I waited for quite sometime before the pullet started laying. I was very happy and my father built a coop for that chicken. I always visit the nest and count the eggs until the hen became broody. I knew that it would take 21 days for the eggs to hatch so I marked the calendar. On the 20th day, there was already 1 chick and I hear the peeping sound from the other eggs. 24 hours later, all eggs were hatched!! I couldn't remember how many chicks we had but I am sure they all reached adulthood. All roos became our dinner and some of the hens too. 2 lucky hens were kept to lay eggs and raise their babies. Life was very simple way back then.

When I went to college, I had to go to a place far from home and all my chickens went missing one by one. After college (year 2007) , I went to the capital city and looked for work. Even after college, I still wanted to raise a flock of my own. I watched youtube videos about chickens. And I saw different breeds which I know are not available in the Philippines. I saw Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Wyandotte, etc. I knew these breeds are only available in the US but I tried to check google. To my surprise, these breeds have been made available in my country!! I couldn't tell how excited and happy I was. He is a member of BYC. and for me to contact him, I had to register first... and so I did!

I live in a place where pets are not allowed. But becuase I really wanted to have a flock of imported breed, I broke the rule. After all, if you follow the rules, you miss all the fun, right?

And so I contacted ozexpat and this guy was soooo accomodating. Ordered my first batch. I ordered 4 chooks but he gave me 6!!

I was sooo happy and grateful!

It's been three weeks since i got the first batch of birds so i decided it's time to build a coop for them. I dont want them roaming around my backyard as they might be seen by my neighbors.

My brother and my dad came over to help me with my coop.

it used to be like this:

then we did the flooring and put doors

If you open the doors, you can put the side gate

And finally, the cover!

At night i just remove the gate and the cover then close the door. :)

My birds are now 10 weeks old

Master Reese, the sweetest. Their protector

Lady Vanilla, most patient, quiet, docile

Lady Matcha, the largest of them all. I think she will be a good setter

Roku, unknown Gender. I am not sure if this bird will become a pullet or cockerel

If you live where pets are not allowed, then you will not loose these chickens one at a time like before. The police will arrive and take all of them and of course what do you think they will do. I don't want to elaborate, I wish you THE BEST, because I can see your passion in these pets.
thumbsup.gif

If you live where pets are not allowed, then you will not loose these chickens one at a time like before.   The police will arrive and take all of them and of course what do you think they will do.  I don't want to elaborate,      I wish you THE BEST,  because I can see your passion in these pets. :thumbsup

Nope. That's not how it works here... no police. I will only get a memo from the home owners association... That is if they find out that i have pets in my backyard. I make sure that the place is not smelly so they won't get noticed. If in case they get noticed. I think my neighbors wouldn't mind as long as they don't smell them. :)

I know my journey has just began. the moment i got them out of the box (oh that wonderful feeling...), i know that i will go thru a lot of work and challenges.

1. How to get them inside the building (with all the security guards roaming around night and day)
2. How to keep the smell down to its minimum
3. How to keep their noises down
4. How to keep them free from mites and lice
5. what to feed them
6. When to feed them
7. and of course how to make them happy

My pad is a studio type with 10sqm garden area at the back. thank God my partner and I decided to get this unit. the pad to my right is not yet occupied and i hope it stays vacant until i get a different place where i can keep my birds. The second and third floor aren't occupied either. my problem is the guys on the fourth floor and my other neighbor to my left side. left side neighbor rarely stays in their unit. I seldom see the guys on the fourth floor too.

So here are my first birds

Reese, rhode island red

Roku, bbs orpington. We are unsure whether this little guy is a he or a she. Can you guess?

Vanilla, buff orpington. She's my partner's favorite

Matcha, mixed breed.

billy, another mixed breed

Hazelnut, also a mixed breed

Here's my first flock. 6 lovely birds, 7 weeks old. i took a week off from work and spent my time with my babies. i clean their place three times a day to make sure there's no bad smell :D

Life is wonderful and these birds added excitement and happiness to my life. i know that i won't live very long so i started doing what i wany to do... And part of it is having chickens in my backyard. And not just native Philippine chickens, these are imported breed from the US!! All filipino chicken lovers want to have these birds of course!

My mom and my partner, support me all the way. they want me to live my life to the fullest while i still can. And so my father and brother. I am just praying that i can keep them here forever. otherwise, i really have to move out and find a better place. But i won't think about that for now... I will enjoy the moments with these wonderful creatures.

Last edited:
let me rewind a little bit from where it all started...

when i became aware that rir and orps are now available in the Philippines, I contacted ozexpat, the guy who brought them in, i started reading articles about chickens and ready myself. I know i was not fully equipped yet but i know i can get all the info i need from the net and from ozexpat. He is one of a kind!!

After reading more articles and watching some youtube videos, i contacted him and closed the deal.

He ships all orders on weekends so i waited for a couple of days. Time was so slooooowwww...

then the day i've been waiting for finally arrived!

On January 25, 2015, the cargo was supposed to ship @9pm and arrive in Manila around 10:45pm.

We were at the airport around 9:30pm and we were told that the flight was delayed for an hour. We waited and waited and waited. @2:30am, we finally got the box. i openned it and checked for the chooks. The long wait is all worth it. They were sitting like well-behave babies. since i have to bring them inside the building, i must transfer them to a shoe box (a bit bigger than a regular shoe box) so the guards won't notice them. The box was just enough to fit 6 little birds.

It was past 3:00am when we reached our place... I put them in their cage and let them rest.

Then i fed them at sunrise.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom