Secret Nest Outside of Coop - How do I know if the eggs are safe to eat?

All4Eggz

Jesus Loves You🌵
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
I found a secret nest outside the coop.
Was wondering why egg production has decreased by a little bit…

45EA9E38-4146-4420-AB51-3E51CF67A60D.jpeg

They are all the same, from the same bantam hen.

How do I know which ones are safe to eat? They have been laying around in the heat or summer, in rain, in cold temps, etc.

I’ve heard about some methods for testing egg freshness.

What method do you use?

@3KillerBs @NatJ @aart @EggSighted4Life @sourland @MysteryChicken @U_Stormcrow

Do any of them smell?

Normally, I would float them. Put the eggs in lukewarm water. If they sink, they are good. If they float, they are bad. If they are in the middle... When in doubt through it out (for food anyways).

You can also crack them in a bowl but if they ARE rotten they would not be pretty. In this case... I'd just chuck them. It's not really worth it.

Last edited:
Do any of them smell?

Normally, I would float them. Put the eggs in lukewarm water. If they sink, they are good. If they float, they are bad. If they are in the middle... When in doubt through it out (for food anyways).

You can also crack them in a bowl but if they ARE rotten they would not be a pretty. In this case... I'd just chuck them. It's not really worth it.
Thanks, did the test and only 2 of them floated to the top.

I just go on using them like normal, but i open them in a seperate bowl before putting in a pan in case its bad.
Will also do this before putting them in the pan.
Thanks!

I would toss all of them. Why risk it?
I'd toss them to some starving wildlife and stick with consuming the eggs you know are good 💜
Thanks.
Decided I will take extra precaution when using the eggs to make sure there is nothing off about them.
Why waste them if they are perfectly edible?

did the test and only 2 of them floated to the top.
Floating an egg will only tell you how old it might be.
They float due to evaporation when older.
It will not tell you if an egg is 'good' or 'bad'.
Plus then you've wetted the egg so it should be thoroughly washed and refrigerated.

When in doubt....
Open eggs one at a time in a separate dish before adding to pan or recipe,
use your eyes, nose, and common sense to decide if egg is OK to eat.

Why waste them if they are perfectly edible?
I guess that would be considered wasteful. I always have an overabundance of eggs. Considering that and my 10 year old daughter, I tend to take the safest (in my opinion) route. Not saying that any other options are unsafe by any means. My reply was just based on what I would do personally. I never thought about it as being wasteful, so thank you 💜 I do need to take this into consideration, especially nowadays ☺️

Back
Top Bottom