Secure nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by StarryEyzz, Apr 19, 2012.

1. StarryEyzz

StarryEyzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Granite Falls, WA
    Hello, we are designing our coop. Doing our best to make it the safest that we can. I like the idea of having outside access to retrieve eggs from nesting boxes. But was curious, do you guys put "locks" on them? I don't want a crafty critter trying to get into my coop through the nesting boxes access door.

Thoughts?
    Christina

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I would definitaly make some sort of latch for your next boxes. I'm not saying a pad lock or anything, but I would definitaly put some sort of latch on there that only a human can manuever.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My thoughts on security for the doors is that the latching device should entail more than one action in order to open. Many animals can pull on something or twist it and get it open. If you have to perform some other action at the same time in order to open it, I suspect the animals would be defeated.

For instance, opening a carabiner is simple. But to remove it requires that it be open and then removed at the same time. I bet that even the wily raccoon cannot do this. So I have used a carabiner in a hasp to secure my doors.

Hope this helps.

Chris

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by