Securing pop door on new coop

Clabbergirl

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Nashville, TN
We've upgraded to a new coop and are trying to sort out the pop door, which folds down with the chicken steps on the other side of the door. We'd like to put something there we can shut without entering what will be the run and without lifting up the steps. We've also considered an automatic door on the inside, but that presents problems as I see it, given the structure inside the coop. I'm not mechanically/engineering inclined and are hoping the ingenuity of folks here can help us out with ideas.

Attachments

• 20190811_090956.jpg
    20190811_090956.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190811_142246.jpg
    20190811_142246.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190811_142255.jpg
    20190811_142255.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 17
That height of step they really don't need the ramp.....but it hurts nothing for it to be there.

How about a guillotine style door on a rope run through pulleys and outside for you to pull and secure to open?

It can be mounted inside or outside. Inside keeps the track clear of ice and snow....

Thanks for the suggestion. We've thought about the guillotine style, but not sure how to make one. I'd prefer inside, but the nesting box roosts seem to be in the way...like almost to the edge of the opening. I've seen videos of people making their own door tracks with 2x4s and plywood, & I guess that's what I'm imagining. Not sure what else to use...have seen videos of people welding their own metal and such which is way over my head.

I'm a little confused... so you have a run but then you want to close the coop on top of that at night? Is the run not fully enclosed (like it has an open top then)?

There are some options... but nothing is going to be as easy as just walking in there and closing the door- which is also good measure so you can take a quick look at your flock for a headcount. If you go fully-automated you're going to lose the interaction with your flock and the connection. But that's your choice of course.

Mine are 1x2 and 1 x3 framing with 1/2" plywood doors. It is really easy actually.

Line up the 1x2 just a bit wider than your door....if the door opening is say 12" wide cut your door at 14" wide....put your 1x2's at 14&1/2 apart.....then line up the 1x3 boards with the outer edges of the 1x2. This creates the slot for the door to slide in. Your dimensions are likely different but that gives the idea.

Just so you know dimensional lumber does not measure what they sell it as. :hmm
A 1x2 is actually 3/4" x1&3/4", a 1x3 is actually 3/4" x2&3/4".

The sizes they sell it as is the prefinishing size. When they get it it has been killed and lost some size.

Edited to add....it is best to drill holes in the boards before screwing them to prevent splitting.

I have this kind of door closure on the pop door. I really like it. The door itself is heavy enough that no critter could pull it up, and the edge of the door is inside and out of reach. The pulley handle is on the outside of the coop, not in the chicken yard. The only problem I have is that it is on the north side, and during sleet/freezing rain/snow it has frozen shut. The pulley cord becomes an icicle. In past years I covered the pulley area with waterproof fabric, so that it would cover the cord but could be pushed aside to use the cord.
Little things like this need to be thought through, and preferably not at 7 am on a sleeting day, trying to get your chickens fed and watered.
Another thing is to make the door/gate to the chicken yard open outward, not inward. A few inches of snow then sleet makes it impossible to open the gate inward. Opening to the outside, at least you have the opportunity to dig a path for the door. Do I sound like I love winter weather? lol.

I have this kind of door closure on the pop door. I really like it. The door itself is heavy enough that no critter could pull it up, and the edge of the door is inside and out of reach. The pulley handle is on the outside of the coop, not in the chicken yard. The only problem I have is that it is on the north side, and during sleet/freezing rain/snow it has frozen shut. The pulley cord becomes an icicle. In past years I covered the pulley area with waterproof fabric, so that it would cover the cord but could be pushed aside to use the cord.
Little things like this need to be thought through, and preferably not at 7 am on a sleeting day, trying to get your chickens fed and watered.
Another thing is to make the door/gate to the chicken yard open outward, not inward. A few inches of snow then sleet makes it impossible to open the gate inward. Opening to the outside, at least you have the opportunity to dig a path for the door. Do I sound like I love winter weather? lol.

All good points. :thumbsup

I'm a little confused... so you have a run but then you want to close the coop on top of that at night? Is the run not fully enclosed (like it has an open top then)?

There are some options... but nothing is going to be as easy as just walking in there and closing the door- which is also good measure so you can take a quick look at your flock for a headcount. If you go fully-automated you're going to lose the interaction with your flock and the connection. But that's your choice of course.
We dont have a covered run yet (for this coop), but thinking about it. We are upgrading from a prefab coop that had a built in run. I suppose if we secure the run then we could leave the pop door open. It feels so risky to me. We haven't had any predator problems...it is close to the house with bright outdoor light nearby & the whole thing will be inside another 4' chain link fence. But I'm afraid the time will come. Our neighbors birdfeeder overflows & we've seen as many as 5 raccoons within 30 yards eating at it.

I totally agree with you. I had thought about an automated door, but what if you have a crazy hen that likes to stay up late? I know because I have one and I've had to chase her into the coop on more than one night.

We dont have a covered run yet (for this coop), but thinking about it. We are upgrading from a prefab coop that had a built in run. I suppose if we secure the run then we could leave the pop door open. It feels so risky to me. We haven't had any predator problems...it is close to the house with bright outdoor light nearby & the whole thing will be inside another 4' chain link fence. But I'm afraid the time will come. Our neighbors birdfeeder overflows & we've seen as many as 5 raccoons within 30 yards eating at it.

Raccoons aren't usually an issue if there is easy food nearby. When you live in the country they can be more problematic as there isn't a lot of trash and fun stuff laying around to munch on.

Back
Top Bottom